Search the forum,

Discuss about tightness testing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tiling spread

poped over too me mums to day only too gett a propper whiff of GAS
she said she cant smell it :30:
any way i went strait over too the boiler and bingo found the smell got stronger.
So i went and turned off the gas at the meter
called british gas as she is coverd by them
sent a guy out i the hour so he is having a look about and sticks his probe up the back of the boiler and iv never seen some one go as white a sheet in my life.
tells me that it was the highest reading he has ever seen :icon9: so he caped off the meter (condemed it) called british gas for a guy too fix it.
looking over at the guy i said i bet its the gas valve leaking a walked off.
the next guy walks in bla bla bla
any way he done a tightness test befor and after looking a the boiler (do i get any paper work from him for this or no????)
starts playing with the gas valve gives it a good half turn ????? ( think that mite be the problem mate think iv sorted it now )
but ill get some one too have a look in the morn for you.
the thing im ****ed about the most is just a month ago she had them out too fit a new pump looks like a pegler terrer pump i think any way the guy was ment too of
cheacked the boiler and passed it :13:not a happy bunny
any way feeling rather smug with my self pointing out there was a leak and finding it too think iv ern some browny point lol

ok so its Q&A time after all the caping off and tightness testing tighting up the valve what paper work am i ment too get from them ??
And just how goo are ideal icos boilers and what are the main things that go ronge with them ??
as i thin the boiler is pony its running a 3 bed semi the heating is on most the time and its timed hot water too

im not sure what britsih gases paper work is like. They should of atleast issued a warning notice certificate and labled the appliance correctly.

im guessing they did not want to disconnect the appliance only due to having the reconnect it tomorrow? normally unless its on pipework they should not disconnect/cap at meter as you can still use the other appliances safely.

nope the first guy that came out said the boiler was leaking gas and caped it at the meter so no gat in the house lol not happy now the second guy uncaped it played with the boiler and said some one will be back in the morn

Good job its not the winter, if you have a gas fire you would not have been able to use it to keep warm. sounds like they have tried to save themselves extra work unless access to appliances gas supply is very restricted?

complain, see what they say/offer you. everyone should complain even if it gets you nothing.

nope the first guy that came out said the boiler was leaking gas and caped it at the meter so no gat in the house lol not happy now the second guy uncaped it played with the boiler and said some one will be back in the morn

Sounds like the first guy who came was from the emergengy call out bunch (formerly TRANSCO). They aren't generaly qualified to work on appliances, their job's to make safe! Capping the meter does just that!

2nd guy is probably from Centrica ... (B-Gas engineer) Who covers your mums service contract. I'd bet ya bottom dollar the previous BG bloke left a test nipple open and the second BG guy covered his backside!

Regards paperwork, TRANSCO or whoever they are now, should leave a warning notice and paperwork. B-Gas leave a print out of their visit!

Regards Icos, They have their problems :sad_smile:

ok so after having a pop over the phone to b gas to day as the gas fitter didnt turn up
so they rebooked it and he turned up
any way he said it sounds like the ignighter not firering

Icos have this problem along with uthers
so he has orded a new set of seals and ignighter for it

and will be back tuesday too strip the boiler down fit all new seals gasgits ignighter ect
the guy said you get all free parts now as your paying £20 per mounth so make the most of it lol

iv told here too ask if she can keep all the old parts that are striped out so i can post pics on here
im thinking of asking him for some parts out the van from b gas just too tinker with like pumps ect too run a mok set up too pratice plumbing

poped over too me mums to day only too gett a propper whiff of GAS
she said she cant smell it :30:
any way i went strait over too the boiler and bingo found the smell got stronger.
So i went and turned off the gas at the meter
called british gas as she is coverd by them
sent a guy out i the hour so he is having a look about and sticks his probe up the back of the boiler and iv never seen some one go as white a sheet in my life.
tells me that it was the highest reading he has ever seen :icon9: so he caped off the meter (condemed it) called british gas for a guy too fix it.
looking over at the guy i said i bet its the gas valve leaking a walked off.
the next guy walks in bla bla bla
any way he done a tightness test befor and after looking a the boiler (do i get any paper work from him for this or no????)
starts playing with the gas valve gives it a good half turn ????? ( think that mite be the problem mate think iv sorted it now )
but ill get some one too have a look in the morn for you.
the thing im ****ed about the most is just a month ago she had them out too fit a new pump looks like a pegler terrer pump i think any way the guy was ment too of
cheacked the boiler and passed it :13:not a happy bunny
any way feeling rather smug with my self pointing out there was a leak and finding it too think iv ern some browny point lol

ok so its Q&A time after all the caping off and tightness testing tighting up the valve what paper work am i ment too get from them ??
As mentioned, it would have most likely have been the emergency service provider that attended the first call- not British Gas, and should have left some kind of safety notice detailing the issue.

BG will only leave a homecare check list of the basic checks done, nothing specific such as tightness test, but may note this was carried out on paperwork if the Engineer feels it is important to highlight. They will also leave a safety notice sheet for any safety issue found detailing issue and wither 'NCS', 'AR' or 'ID'. All important details will be logged on laptop. BG do not print out documentation anymore.

And just how goo are ideal icos boilers and what are the main things that go ronge with them ??
Utter crap boilers to be honest! Lots to go wrong and they will go wrong i'm sorry to say.

as i thin the boiler is pony its running a 3 bed semi the heating is on most the time and its timed hot water too
Out of interest was it an Icos HE boiler?

the guy said there wasnt a smel of gas today but do it anyway

the guy said there wasnt a smel of gas today but do it anyway

as there was a reported smell of gas there can be NO PERMISSABLE DROP when he does a TT so even if he now says there is 1mb drop but no smell so it is OK chase him, haha they will be there for days checking over the pipework, but if your wee maw is paying her dosh get everything checked over fully and properly, and dont take any snash, TBH the first guy was bang on, as others have said he was prob a TOFO, but he should have either issued a warning notice or cause for concern, the second guy fiddled with it, mmmhhhh not too impressed, it is possible that a thermo electric valve fails and allows gas to pass, and if you turn it on/off a few times it reseats, but i cant see how you would smell tat from inside as it is room sealed, (have had a few like this where the punter reports a smell of gas from outside via the flue as it is passing to outside, i would ask for a full written report on what the prob was, cause if you smelled gas it had to be leaking inside the property so he either fixes it or caps it and gets the repair done the next day, im not impressed with him fiddling with it then arranging a repair, it is either fixed on first visit or it isnt, there is no such thing as temp gas work,

the first guy caped it off and the 2nd guy said the nut on the gas valve needed tighting up and that mite be the problem??????????
and said he will have some one out just too check it over in the morn ?????????
the 3rd guy came and said it looks to be ok now but for the sake of some new seals/ect hell order them and fit all new ones
the guy was old (sorry) he had been in the gas trade for some tme.
and was old school he said if it go's agen most probs thall fit a new boiler ??????????
the gas man said the icos are ****

Agree with Kirkgas - with regard to what the gas man said about the icos, i don't think they are even that good !

hi all new to this forum. hi all im looking for a digital gas manometer as iv just got a job fitting meters for onstream. any help would be gr8 thanks matthew

ok so after having a pop over the phone to b gas to day as the gas fitter didnt turn up
so they rebooked it and he turned up
any way he said it sounds like the ignighter not firering

Icos have this problem along with uthers
so he has orded a new set of seals and ignighter for it

and will be back tuesday too strip the boiler down fit all new seals gasgits ignighter ect
the guy said you get all free parts now as your paying £20 per mounth so make the most of it lol

iv told here too ask if she can keep all the old parts that are striped out so i can post pics on here
im thinking of asking him for some parts out the van from b gas just too tinker with like pumps ect too run a mok set up too pratice plumbing

haha yeah get us lot some aswell mate. Could do with some freebie spares for the van :D

The second engineer attending must have known if he had fixed the leak or not! Sounds a bit suspect to me, if only BG did tightness tests on their services this might have been picked up earlier.

The second engineer attending must have known if he had fixed the leak or not! Sounds a bit suspect to me, if only BG did tightness tests on their services this might have been picked up earlier.

right gentlemen "start your engines" this will set us off again haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to about tightness testing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock