Search the forum,

Discuss 4 Radiators not working atall, locate pipe and clear blockage or repipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HeatingHeadache

Hello everyone,

I stumbled across this forum whilst searching for possible solutions to what has become a bit of a nightmare.

My home is 11 years old. During my annual boiler check with Scot Gas around 9 years ago I was advised it appeared the building company's plumbers hadn't flushed the central heating system through when it was first installed and this had caused debry in the system and black water.

I got a Heating Engineer I knew to carry out a Power Flush for me. The system seemed to run fine until 2010 when my bedroom radiator stopped heating up well and gradually became stone cold. This was quickly followed by 3 more radiators.

I now have no heating in 2 bedrooms, my en-suite bathroom and my daughter's room which has 2 radiators, only has 1 which works. Back in 2010 when I became aware of this problem I contacted Scot Gas who removed the radiators from the wall and took them outside and flushed them using a garden hose. Once they were put back on the wall it was suggested that the blockages had to be in the pipework rather than the radiators themselves.

Scot Gas advised that the system needed another Powerflush but I did not have £800 to have this done at the time.

I finally got the funds together for a Powerflush last year, Scot Gas said with so many radiators not working atall it was not certain the Powerflush would work. It didn't :disappointed:. It made no difference atall.

I had a Heating Engineer who worked for one of the big companies take on the job of fixing things. His first suggestion was to create 2 access hatches in our upstairs landing to see where the pipework from our heating system went and to check if there was a manifold. We have chipboard flooring panels so a ripsaw was used. He didn't find any manifold which he was really surprised about. He said the pipes he could locate were all warm and the blockages were likely to be further towards each individual radiator. His next suggestion was to create access hatches close to the radiators which were cold and try and locate the blockage, and clear it. Basically after this we didn't hear from him again and despite numerous attempts at contacting him he hasn't been in touch. I take it he doesn't want to do the job.

We have had 3 quotes over the last few weeks. One company has suggested repiping and bringing new flow and return pipes to each radiator from under the floor (our current radiators are fed from pipes coming through our walls) the exisiting wall pipes would be closed off and pushed back through the wall then the wall would be filled in and painted. This would need to be done for each affected radiator and with our daughter's bedroom having one working radiator and one not working, it would look silly with one being fed from the wall and one from the floor so we would need to make a decision about changing the way the working radiator was fed to match the other one. The company in question quoted £1000 and 2 days work.

We had another plumber suggest attaching the power flush machine to each individual radiator feed and try clearing the blockages, he said Scot Gas Powerflush didn't work because they run it through pump rather than individual radiators, I'm not sure this would work. He quoted £350 but only if it fixes the problem otherwise we don't pay.

Lastly an ex Scot Gas Heat Engineer has quoted around £1200 to have a joiner cut various access hatches and locate blockages and clear them rather than repiping. He feels repiping should be a last resort as leaving the blocked pipes in place could cause the downstairs radiators which are presently unaffected, to become blocked in the future.

I'm just not sure which way to go and wondered if anyone had any input into this saga.

Many Thanks in advance.

To be honest i would expect downstairs rads to become blocked before the upstairs.

When they took the rads off did they drain water off through the flow and return pipes?

Did they check the thermostatic valves (if you have them) they could be stuck.

Do the simple things first.

Hi there
Thanks for the reply

They drained the whole system before they took radiators off and then took them outside to flush out.
The vavles have all been checked numerous times by different people.

But have they actually tried to run water through the valves individually.

What size piework is it and is it a sealed system or an open vented system (small tank in loft)

Are you on plastic microbore 8mm pipe by any chance?

Hello, yes it's plastic microbore 8mm.

It's a sealed system, we don't have any tanks in the loft. We have a boiler downstairs and a hot water tank in upstairs cupboard which is heated by coil.

I don't think they have tried to run water through the individual valves, at least I haven't seen anyone doing that.

You will probably find that the push fit elbows that are in the wall before they exit into the valves are blocked. I had an estate close to me where they had not been flushed out etc. In the end, I removed every radiator and flushed with a hose, the knocked a hole in the wall to access the elbows, which I then removed and cleared the pipe using a length of wire. I managed to get all rads working in the house apart from one in downstairs wc.

Hi there
The Engineer that was working for me that disappeared did mention the elbows.

Accessing these through the wall would be a nightmare, do you think they could be accessed via the floor just under the radiator or maybe by removing the skirting board under the radiators and making a hole in the wall at that point?

My son has really bad asthma so trying to keep things done with the minimum amount of dust and disruption possible.

Thanks

If the pipes go into the wall as apposed to down into the floor, then knocking a 3-4 inch whole around the pipes to access the elbow is really the only option.

Okay, thanks. I can live with that I guess, our walls are painted anyway. We are waiting to finish this job before decorating 2 of the affected rooms.
I have another Heating Engineer coming tomorrow. After he tells me his idea I will put this suggestion to him.

Thanks again, you have been really helpful. I will report back.

Just be aware that the stuff that is probably blocking the elbows can be really tough to shift even with a metal wire trying to clear it. What you don't want to do is make it loose and then push it around the system where it can block somewhere else.

You have to be brave when trying to clear it with large buckets at the ready and best to replace the elbows once cleared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 4 Radiators not working atall, locate pipe and clear blockage or repipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock