Discuss 22mm Condensate Pipe Elbows Failing in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Seems to be a long term material compatibility issue between adhesive & condensate. Nobody's fault just unfortunate, well perhaps the adhesive manufacturer. See what your plumber has to say, he may be able to suggest an alternative route.
In my case, it seems failure of the elbows is the issue, as in they have cracked over time. My plumber suggested replacing the entire run and cutting into the stud wall to effect the replacement. Of course this is an easier thing to do rather than trying to fish for flexible cable etc but I will put this to him as an alternative.

Can you attach a thin tough rope/string ( I use 4mm polypropylene line) to the existing pipe and then pull the pipe out from the other end - so you end up with the string along the route you want.
Then attach the new flexi pipe to the line and pull it through.

Can you attach a thin tough rope/string ( I use 4mm polypropylene line) to the existing pipe and then pull the pipe out from the other end - so you end up with the string along the route you want.
Then attach the new flexi pipe to the line and pull it through.
If the existing pipe was flexible, this would be an option. However, as the existing pipe is 22mm overflow pipe and it goes through a cavity, to pull it out between the wall and stud wall with limited access in the loft would be I suspect impossible.

I think fishing for a new flexible hose would be an option though...

What hose options exist? I would need a ~15m run.

The elbows are failing because the condensate (acidic) seems to be eventually reacting with the adhesive, there can't be any other reason for for elbows spliting and failing like that.
Given the length of run it might just be easier to install a condensate pump (if necesssary) and run it to a rainwater downpipe else where outside the building?

The elbows are failing because the condensate (acidic) seems to be eventually reacting with the adhesive, there can't be any other reason for for elbows spliting and failing like that.
Given the length of run it might just be easier to install a condensate pump (if necesssary) and run it to a rainwater downpipe else where outside the building?
I'd prefer to keep the run internal and use a flexible hose. The question is however which hose would be suitable for this application? It seems most are either 22 or 32 mm solid pipes.

I'll call a plumbers merchants to see what options they have and then discuss with my plumber.

Not sure you can officially find flexi condensate pipe in much longer than 3m tbf.

It might require a little creative thinking and find say conduit that can be bought in much longer lengths, due diligence required as to the materials properties and resistance to condensate.

Reply to 22mm Condensate Pipe Elbows Failing in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a CH boiler installation with a nice simple vertical condensate drain, down and out through the wall to a pipe outside. All is as it...
Replies
Views
Engineer has installed several boilers for me. All the condensate pipes have been connected externally into soil stack or rain water downpipe. In...
Replies
Views
Hi! Totally inexperienced DIY newbie so bear with me for descriptions! Pictures hopefully help. I’m trying to remove an unused downstairs toilet...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've not posted for a while, not a plumber, but a keen DIYer who likes to try and do things without bodging if I can. Basically I'm wanting to...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock