Discuss Best pipe tube carriers - how thief proof are they? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I invested in Rhino pipe carriers, they look good but that's about it, one key fits all locks not that you need a key. Just pulling the catch down works just as easy whether locked or not.

Hi. At the discretion of the forum moderator, I'd like to respond in a constructive manner to concerns raised in this thread about the Rhino Pipe Tube. As an engineer from the Rhino Products Technical Team, I can offer informed advice and technical support on product issues such as these (if that would be helpful?).

The model you are describing is the first generation of Rhino Pipe Tube. This was replaced in early 2008 with the current model (although stocks of older models may have taken a few months to filter through the system). The current model has steel bulkheads behind both nose cones, and has an improved (patented) locking mechanism with hundreds of key combinations in circulation. Rhino no longer use the lock system you are describing (although other manufacturers have since adopted it).

You can tell the difference by looking at the hinges - the first generation has a moulded hinge on the top of the tube, the current model has a pressed steel bulkhead visible with a pivot at each side.

Dosen't matter, I had my Rhino Carrier done over on my drive. The swines sliced open the locking mechanism with an angle grinder/bosch multi tool type of equipment.

Luckily I only ever store overflow or waste pipe in there overnight, so no "booty" call for them hahaha.

the best tube carrier i think is the one that holds a 60 volt lockable control that activates when you lock the van....................... i just cat seem to find one yet LOL

Hi. At the discretion of the forum moderator, I'd like to respond in a constructive manner to concerns raised in this thread about the Rhino Pipe Tube. As an engineer from the Rhino Products Technical Team, I can offer informed advice and technical support on product issues such as these (if that would be helpful?).

The model you are describing is the first generation of Rhino Pipe Tube. This was replaced in early 2008 with the current model (although stocks of older models may have taken a few months to filter through the system). The current model has steel bulkheads behind both nose cones, and has an improved (patented) locking mechanism with hundreds of key combinations in circulation. Rhino no longer use the lock system you are describing (although other manufacturers have since adopted it).

You can tell the difference by looking at the hinges - the first generation has a moulded hinge on the top of the tube, the current model has a pressed steel bulkhead visible with a pivot at each side.

Thanks Rhino Tech Team - It sounds like the new version stops/limits the casual thief. Harder to stop someone armed with an angle grider on any pipe rack! Still struggling in the back of the van at the moment.

if you can engineer an exploding dye device much like thoses used in security vans to sit in the end of your tubes then i will by 2 for sure! ;)

We use 4" diy carriers on our vans, we also try not to keep LOADS of copper in them just two lenghts of 15, 22 and maybe one length of 28 as van stock. If we need any more than that we'll buy it as we use it and we don't lock the carriers as it just looks like there's something valuable in there. In over ten years on our estate in the north east, we've had precisiely ZERO break-ins...

i use the inside of my van, its got an alarm and anti smash and grab glass, its pretty good at carring pipe

Let's be honest if they want to pinch it they'll pinch it! might as well make it so there's as little damage to your van as possible.

or pepper spray, or a large inflatable boxing glove lol filled with metal pellets

As someone who was done for the second time 2nights ago on my drive, i agree that the exploding dye is a great idea as long as the dye is laced with drain cleaner. Mine had locks on but no longer will i carry any tube in it, just plastic and with no locks. God forbid i catch these scroats !

Let's be honest if they want to pinch it they'll pinch it! might as well make it so there's as little damage to your van as possible.
i use 240v from the mains connected via car jump leads its effective but my cd player in teh van keeps catching on fire

You're meant to plug it on to the tube carrier, not the cd player ... DOH!!!

:sweatdrop:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best pipe tube carriers - how thief proof are they? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back