Search the forum,

Discuss Best pipe tube carriers - how thief proof are they? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marco

Hi,
I've got by fitting a few 3m lengths of pipe in the back of the van upto now as have to park on the road abd thought it was safer and cheaper:). But they always seem to be in the way!

I've looked at the pipe tube carriers and wondered how safe they are ie they are an advert to thieves and even if locked/padlocked they only seem to be clipped to the roof rack, so easy to remove or force open.

Rhino look popular. What do people like to use? how safe are they?

Cheers,

Mark

i use the truk rax type which ever one you have they are not theft proof

I have a Rhino on one van and a bit 4" with a glued blank cap on the front and a screwed access on the back on the other. Both work just the same but you can get more in the rhino. A 4" pipe holds a bundle of 22mm and 15mm with a bit space for a couple of other lengths. If they want in they will get in no problem. You can break the lock of a rhino with a screwdriver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Gas man - The truk rax one looked alright and a bit more room than some? I've got their roof rack which has been good

Cheers Tamz - Thought about the cheap and cheerful 4" soil pipe option. It might be a good compromise when going to a bigger job, and the van is crammed. Just will have to unload at night, but easy to forget when worked late and its raining!

my uncle has been using 4" soil pipe for ages, don't really know if he has had anything robbed from it but his mitzibushi warrior isnt really signed with "plumber" on it

Cheers Gas man - The truk rax one looked alright and a bit more room than some? I've got their roof rack which has been good

its been ok,not been nicked yet and its the cheapest tube carrier you can buy

If you have a flimsy cap at the front they make great torpedo tubes if you brake too hard ...

Was in a smash years ago and the front cap only cracked. Nothing came through it. Smashed plenty throwing lengths of half inch in.
If you are making one it is best with a glued external access cap at the front too. When you spear a length through it, swap with the cap from the back. Nothing comes out the back.....normally.

i have used soil pipe for years now, as said before make suse you glue on and not pushfit. On saying that i try not to leave copper on van over night, too expensive.

P.s. If you have a spare ladder clamp you can use it to clamp 2 4'' soil pipes to the roofrack and easy take off if needed in no time at all. just make sure you clamp it down well and lock it.

I think I'll go with the 4" soil pipe on the roof and keep the plastic in it, and built a piperack in the back of the van for lengths of copper hidden from view

Pipe carriers are a magnet for theives and I wouldn't entertain one at all. My van is long enough to fit pipe inside covered up with dust sheets etc.

I invested in Rhino pipe carriers, they look good but that's about it, one key fits all locks not that you need a key. Just pulling the catch down works just as easy whether locked or not.

i have a 4" pipe on my rack which is where all the plastic lives, couple of lengths of solvent weld ie 40mm with a 32mm and overflow pipe inside it then easily 10 lengths of 22mm with the same again of 15 inside that too! works well. and i have a glued socket at 1 end with a glued cap in it, never broken in about 3 years or so now. and other end is the female end of the 4" pipe and i just shove a glued cap in there so its easy too pull in and out just held on by the rubber, alot better than squeezing your hand in trying too grab pipe through an access cap. 1 tip is get the 4" pipe cut down a little bit so the 3m lengths fit pretty much perfet else it can be more arkward trying to grab stuff when its 3 or 4 inches further down the pipe than it should be. can tell ive had alot of experience with these!!

I invested in Rhino pipe carriers, they look good but that's about it, one key fits all locks not that you need a key. Just pulling the catch down works just as easy whether locked or not.

Hi. At the discretion of the forum moderator, I'd like to respond in a constructive manner to concerns raised in this thread about the Rhino Pipe Tube. As an engineer from the Rhino Products Technical Team, I can offer informed advice and technical support on product issues such as these (if that would be helpful?).

The model you are describing is the first generation of Rhino Pipe Tube. This was replaced in early 2008 with the current model (although stocks of older models may have taken a few months to filter through the system). The current model has steel bulkheads behind both nose cones, and has an improved (patented) locking mechanism with hundreds of key combinations in circulation. Rhino no longer use the lock system you are describing (although other manufacturers have since adopted it).

You can tell the difference by looking at the hinges - the first generation has a moulded hinge on the top of the tube, the current model has a pressed steel bulkhead visible with a pivot at each side.

Dosen't matter, I had my Rhino Carrier done over on my drive. The swines sliced open the locking mechanism with an angle grinder/bosch multi tool type of equipment.

Luckily I only ever store overflow or waste pipe in there overnight, so no "booty" call for them hahaha.

the best tube carrier i think is the one that holds a 60 volt lockable control that activates when you lock the van....................... i just cat seem to find one yet LOL

Hi. At the discretion of the forum moderator, I'd like to respond in a constructive manner to concerns raised in this thread about the Rhino Pipe Tube. As an engineer from the Rhino Products Technical Team, I can offer informed advice and technical support on product issues such as these (if that would be helpful?).

The model you are describing is the first generation of Rhino Pipe Tube. This was replaced in early 2008 with the current model (although stocks of older models may have taken a few months to filter through the system). The current model has steel bulkheads behind both nose cones, and has an improved (patented) locking mechanism with hundreds of key combinations in circulation. Rhino no longer use the lock system you are describing (although other manufacturers have since adopted it).

You can tell the difference by looking at the hinges - the first generation has a moulded hinge on the top of the tube, the current model has a pressed steel bulkhead visible with a pivot at each side.

Thanks Rhino Tech Team - It sounds like the new version stops/limits the casual thief. Harder to stop someone armed with an angle grider on any pipe rack! Still struggling in the back of the van at the moment.

if you can engineer an exploding dye device much like thoses used in security vans to sit in the end of your tubes then i will by 2 for sure! ;)

We use 4" diy carriers on our vans, we also try not to keep LOADS of copper in them just two lenghts of 15, 22 and maybe one length of 28 as van stock. If we need any more than that we'll buy it as we use it and we don't lock the carriers as it just looks like there's something valuable in there. In over ten years on our estate in the north east, we've had precisiely ZERO break-ins...

i use the inside of my van, its got an alarm and anti smash and grab glass, its pretty good at carring pipe

Let's be honest if they want to pinch it they'll pinch it! might as well make it so there's as little damage to your van as possible.

or pepper spray, or a large inflatable boxing glove lol filled with metal pellets

As someone who was done for the second time 2nights ago on my drive, i agree that the exploding dye is a great idea as long as the dye is laced with drain cleaner. Mine had locks on but no longer will i carry any tube in it, just plastic and with no locks. God forbid i catch these scroats !

Let's be honest if they want to pinch it they'll pinch it! might as well make it so there's as little damage to your van as possible.
i use 240v from the mains connected via car jump leads its effective but my cd player in teh van keeps catching on fire

You're meant to plug it on to the tube carrier, not the cd player ... DOH!!!

:sweatdrop:

Latest plan: I'm looking at putting in some low bids on Flea Bay for some cheap used pipe carriers, which will be less than the materials for a DIY carrier. Lets see if its enough to get one. Similar to some of you a few 15/22 lengths in the van is enough most the time, but will be nice to have the room for more pipe now I'm getting a few boiler jobs. Most the time I'll probably leave it unlocked and just for plastic/empty. But no fun carrying pipe in and out of the house when raining at the end of each day, so will come in handy then.

I've used soil pipe on roof bars for several years with unlocked screw cap at rear. Had van broken into twice. First time they took copper and barass pipe fittings from inside van, the second time they opened glove box but took nothing. ( probably after a sat nav.) Neither time was the 'pipe carrier' opened!

I wonder if that's because you smeared a Mars bar over it to make it look more authentic?

If you do get use soil pipe a top tip is to secure the screw on ends with washing line ( drill through the middle).
I lost loads of em over the years befor I did this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best pipe tube carriers - how thief proof are they? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock