Search the forum,

Discuss 19 days and theres a problem!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TwoTales

Hi there,

Any experts with some sound advice will be most appreciated!!

The situation:

I moved into a new rented property 19 days ago - everything seemed fine at the time - although the kitchen sink did not drain amazing fast - the hot tap did not run even half as fast as the cold tap... well not even 15 days later - the kitchen sink has blocked...! At first it was draining extremely slowly so I went to pound land and picked up a tub of 'caustic soda' this seemed to have no effect - i did two full doses... I then purchased a plunger (with air that u pull and push) - this made a slight drain - a day later it was blocked again so I poured down a bottle of Mr Muscle sink unblocker - this also had no effect - I then bought a bucket and some rubber gloves and did the unthinkable to remove the U bend - to my suprise this was completely clear and seemed pretty clean!!

The problem - what else do I need to do - my letting agent are terrible in responding - I have spent over £20 on all the products - anyone know how I can solve this quickly and cheaply?? ANY ADVICE great fully received!!

Many thanks,
Tally x

The waste pipe must be blocked further down. Leave well alone, because if you dismantle it, your landlord might bill you for damage. I'm afraid that the best thing is to harass your landlord into submission with phone calls until he gets a plumber in.

The waste pipe must be blocked further down. Leave well alone, because if you dismantle it, your landlord might bill you for damage. I'm afraid that the best thing is to harass your landlord into submission with phone calls until he gets a plumber in.
So there is nothing I can do myself? I can't dismantle anything else as was difficult to take off the U bend and put it back on! Is it worth trying more Mr Muscle or Caustic Soda? I am on the ground floor of a block of flats...

You've either got a blockage further down the line or your waste pipe hasn't got enough fall on it and is collecting gunk every time you empty the sink. Other than visually check the pipework (look for broken support clips and sagging pipe), there isn't much you can do!

Tell him the house is flooded. He'll send a plumber out straight away then tell the plumber to look at the waste pipe.

You've either got a blockage further down the line or your waste pipe hasn't got enough fall on it and is collecting gunk every time you empty the sink. Other than visually check the pipework (look for broken support clips and sagging pipe), there isn't much you can do!

Thanks so much - but how will the landlord get this repaired? A plumber? And how much would it cost to fix something like this? The reason I ask is because I am still waiting for the cooker to be repaired which I reported on the 1st day and have had nothing back - and all the letting agent says is 'we have heard nothing from the landlord yet but we have left [another] urgent message' ... thanks for your help and expertise!

As already said. Withhold rent payment until these issues are resolved. You have rights.

And welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately most landlords don't take much notice of their tenants, until they miss a rent payment! Really is a "How long is a piece of string question"! No-one can tell you how much it will be until it is investigated!

Keep pressing the agents about it, it is not very hygienic having a non draining sink!!

Thanks everyone - really appreciate your sound advice - just such a let down of only taking hold of a new home within 19 days two major issues - I will use the withholding of payment card tomorrow when I speak to them! Thank you kind people!

Be careful about going down that route, hardly ever goes in the tenants favour. Just keep pestering the estate agent, they'll find a way to get hold of the landlord if you pester them enough.

Inform him in writing and by registered post that the sink is blocked past the waste trap, you are unable to turn the sink tap off fully and that in informing him by registered letter you have discharged the responsibility of the situation to him.

Inform him in writing and by registered post that the sink is blocked past the waste trap, you are unable to turn the sink tap off fully and that in informing him by registered letter you have discharged the responsibility of the situation to him.

Thanks Croppie - but the property is 'fully managed' by the letting agent - so I don't know what to do now

Just tell them the same. The sink is blocked and you can't turn the tap off fully so it is running over. Phone them first then put it in writing (an email with a read report will do) saying you will not be held responsible for the consequential damage and it is now their responsibility to get an emergency plumber out.
They will get it attended to if they have any sense.

Write the letter to the letting agent, Tally. Registered. And ensure you keep a copy yourself.

Week or so later have a bottle of wine, crack a tap open to a dribble and go to bed.

Or get someone in, pay them, and include the proof of payment in lieu of rent.

I could be wrong but I think you are entitled to know the name and address of your landlord even if and when it is fully managed by the Agent - so pester them for details of the landlord and then pester both of them.
And
I would not have thought it acceptalbe to leave you without a cooker for 3 weeks?

Don't stop paying your rent, you could find yourself on the street.

Keep details of when you have contacted the letting agent, write a letter to them as stated above and give them 7 days to effect repairs or you will hire somebody to do it and seek compensation from them. Tell them you've found somebody who's minimum charge is £100 to investigate the problem and repairs on top.

Blocked kitchen sink can be classed as an emergency, it means that you (as a tenant) are entitled to notify your landlord/agency (whoever is responsible) and after 24 hours (not sure about actual time, maybe less or maybe a little more) call the plumber yourself and let the plumber invoice the landlord/agency directly.
Make sure that you notify the landlord/agency about your intentions to get a plumber in writing, text message may be acceptable these days.

As a manged property they still have to pass any quotes to the landlord and get the ok from him befor they can do anythink that is y they r taken there time, but you and your landlord have both got a contract to up hold which he is not! It is time to drop in a note saying they have 24 hourt it otherwise you will report them to the local council who's job it is to protect you as a tenent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 19 days and theres a problem!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
Hi all, really need a suggestion.. We recently bought this house and started seeing drain backflow issues when using washing machine into the...
Replies
Views
For about a year, my shower on a third floor is giving an on off gas smell sometimes after a shower and particularly in the morning not long after...
Replies
Views
This sounds like an examination question but it really is a problem two different plumbers have been unable to resolve after spending several...
Replies
Views
J
I own a top floor flat in a 4 storey block, i bought it 3 months ago (meaning that this is an issue i will have to personally deal with, no...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi I have a little problem or a question if all you experienced people can put me straight please? I am just a bit surprised - I had a call out...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock