Currently reading:
You Can Have That Back.

Discuss You Can Have That Back. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonG

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Had a good day until called into Jewsons at about ten to five.

All I wanted was a Danfoss HSV3 valve body I ordered yesterday and a 15mm bent tap connector.

First of all the gave me the valve body but 28mm not 22mm that I wanted. Then they gave me the advice note on the 1 fitting. £4.69 inc.

Well the air turned a little blue, 'Oh you won't pay that for it', 'well how much then', 'Oh £3 plus the vat'.

'You can have it back then'

They didn't even have a mask on!

I have to say, and it's a plug for Williams and Co, really enjoyed using them in Hampshire. Didn't matter who you spoke to, the price was always the same and you could work out how much to quote your customers before hand like that.

Most independent merchants though crack me up, with their 1980s style till systems where you have to hit 10 million different keys to input each item. What's wrong with a simple barcode scanner so I can get on my bloody way faster I say.

Don't use any merchant now where the price varies depending on who serves me, might as well just hand over your bank card and give them your PIN.

Worth every penny ray lol

I have to say, and it's a plug for Williams and Co, really enjoyed using them in Hampshire. Didn't matter who you spoke to, the price was always the same and you could work out how much to quote your customers before hand like that.

Your cheque is in the post Cr0ft! :) Your obviously wasted in Lincolnshire. Hampshire needs discerning, intelligent, goodlooking plumbers like yourself.

/creep

Most independent merchants though crack me up, with their 1980s style till systems where you have to hit 10 million different keys to input each item. What's wrong with a simple barcode scanner so I can get on my bloody way faster I say.

We keep looking at barcode scanners, but a large proportion of our stock doesn't come bar coded. We can buy it in B&Q style carded packs - but at a price.

The lads who have been working for us for a while can key the numbers so quickly it amazes me, but watching a newbie can be painful.

Lol. When are you guys going to open a merchant in Lincoln. All there is here are national merchants, there's a real gap in the market for a good indie merchant here.

Can see what you're saying about barcodes, what about putting your own barcodes on the stock bins then? I've done that in my store-room and I use the same gun for stock-taking and booking parts out to jobs etc. Works a treat.

Lol. When are you guys going to open a merchant in Lincoln. All there is here are national merchants, there's a real gap in the market for a good indie merchant here.

Its going to be a while. After the two we have building at the moment, we need another 5 or 6 in Kent and south London. Can't go too fast, or we'll run out of money.

Can see what you're saying about barcodes, what about putting your own barcodes on the stock bins then? I've done that in my store-room and I use the same gun for stock-taking and booking parts out to jobs etc. Works a treat.

Whisper it quietly... we are still using an ancient, DOS-based system that MickW and I wrote back in the 1980s. We keep promising ourselves that we will get a new one, then introduce all this whizzy new modern technology (like bar codes and electric light!) but keep putting it off. Never the right time.

if i remember right the comp caps were £6.36 ex vat for three!

I think some merchants presume that if you're after a stop end you must have an emergency on and you'll gladly throw any amount at them.

Its going to be a while. After the two we have building at the moment, we need another 5 or 6 in Kent and south London. Can't go too fast, or we'll run out of money.

Whisper it quietly... we are still using an ancient, DOS-based system that MickW and I wrote back in the 1980s. We keep promising ourselves that we will get a new one, then introduce all this whizzy new modern technology (like bar codes and electric light!) but keep putting it off. Never the right time.

I still reminisce about the good old days when the tickets were hand written. None of this faffing about with computers. We used to go into Crew Davis, pick up the gear we wanted, go to the trade counter (yes there were two counters, trade and retail) and write out our own ticket on the ticket machine. Account number J18. None of this hanging around because the goods weren't listed on the computer and they'd have to manually book them in etc.

Ray,

Forget the fancy barcode machines, just get in some decent coffee in your machines.

Your white coffee is to die for, or do I meen it could kill me :32:

The Bovril is good though :coffee:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to You Can Have That Back. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back