Discuss WTF? Is this acceprable? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, Guys,

Retired from the trade, I had a "major supplier" fit a kitchen recently. Their plumber's work was appalling. The kitchen fitting company couldn't see a problem. Let's have a few opinions here. The plumber was about 28, had been working for 8 years, and he did this passover bend-
1568395135327.jpeg

Yes, hot and cold touch... No worries, eh? Yes, really it's just aesthetics, but if he'd been in my classes, he'd have failed NVQ1...Then he did this-
1568395320600.jpeg

Has this become acceptable? Aside from anything else, he soldered the tee above the valve in situ, exposing the plastic/rubber parts to heat, which I'd not ever consider doing... Taking an extreme example of this into account, has anyone else encountered a plastic WC cistern valve tail that had been subjected to heat, and which had become embrittled? I have, snagging on big developers' sites... Time to get out a brass tap extender for a quick, dirty, fix... (no, I'd change the filler valve... For a brass tailed one)
Of course, he soldered isolation valve connections while connected to isolators for the kitchen taps and garden tap, too. I know why some guys do it, it's to ensure the valves are perpendicular/vertical , but the dozy bugger didn't even achieve that, the valves isolating the kitchen taps are angled away from the vertical, and at different heights, too.
The kitchen company can't see an issue. (I had to explain to a partner in the company what he was looking at in the second pic...) Am I too fussy? Would his work get him a pass at college nowadays?
Cat, pigeons...

I’m surprised he’s used a set of benders most don’t

Also lever valve no rubber inside them

I’m surprised he’s used a set of benders most don’t

Also lever valve no rubber inside them
You want to rethink that statement? 1/4 turn valves have nylon or rubber/synthetic rubber seatings, and rubber/synthetic rubber"O" rings around the spindle. Take one apart. I used to show students what they contained... I may post a pic if you doubt me. You think they're sealed metal/metal, like plug cocks?

Benders? yes, a relative who lives between here and Canada (not geographically, he splits his time...) sent me pics of a Canadian plumbing installation. Fittings everywhere. We're not allowed by "code " to bend, his plumber said... Bollocks! I read Ontario code. They just can't bend, and we're heading that way. I'll bend a 10mm offset. it would take 4 elbows, though, wouldn't it, to achieve a 10mm offset? And it would be ugly... Really ugly... That's the future

You want to rethink that statement? 1/4 turn valves have nylon or rubber/synthetic rubber seatings, and rubber/synthetic rubber"O" rings around the spindle. Take one apart. I used to show students what they contained... I may post a pic if you doubt me. You think they're sealed metal/metal, like plug cocks?

Benders? yes, a relative who lives between here and Canada (not geographically, he splits his time...) sent me pics of a Canadian plumbing installation. Fittings everywhere. We're not allowed by "code " to bend, his plumber said... Bollocks! I read Ontario code. They just can't bend, and we're heading that way. I'll bend a 10mm offset. it would take 4 elbows, though, wouldn't it, to achieve a 10mm offset? And it would be ugly... Really ugly... That's the future

there more than fine to take the heat as there not rubber internals there ptfe/ teflon which as you know is ok upto 400dc

and its to do with there copper i belive harder than ours so it just splits / deforms / cracks so thats why they dont bend

Reply to WTF? Is this acceprable? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Anyone know of a pull out kitchen tap that has decent pressure? I have had low pressure from this tap for a number of years and it's not...
Replies
Views
Hello guys, a couple of months back I installed a new shower and sink into a part of the house that hadn't previously been plumbed in. This forced...
Replies
Views
Hi folks I need to fit a kitchen monobloc tap temporarily. A new sink unit will be going in soon so this will just be a stop gap. The current...
Replies
Views
Hi! Our main stopcock is weeping. I phoned the water company, first-person thought it was their problem as it was on the 'outside' of the water...
Replies
Views
My mother has been away on holiday for a few weeks and she has a kitchen mixer tap that has a very slow drip nothing significant - been like that...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock