Search the forum,

Discuss wrong sized hole (manhole) in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

We have manhole covers over the septic tank in the garden that are rusting and becoming weak.

Without lifting the cover, I measured the size of the hole (i.e. the internal part of the frame ) to be 620x470mm.

However, all the manhole covers seem to be 600x450mm or 24x18".

Is my hole non-standard or am I measuring wrongly?

Cheers.

We have manhole covers over the septic tank in the garden that are rusting and becoming weak.

Without lifting the cover, I measured the size of the hole (i.e. the internal part of the frame ) to be 620x470mm.

However, all the manhole covers seem to be 600x450mm or 24x18".

Is my hole non-standard or am I measuring wrongly?

Cheers.
You are sort of measuring correctly, but you need to lift the cover to measure the hole size accurately.
Access cover assemblies are sold by the dimensions of the size of the inner hole, not the overall size.
I assume you would replace not only the cover, but also the frame it sits in (I imagine you won't get an exact replacement)

edit:
I've just measured my pressed steel manhole cover, and measuring like you did, it is also 620mm x 470mm.
So it looks like the right sort of 600 x 450 might fit your existing frame!
Or to put in another way - the lid of a manhole advertised as 600 x 450 is not that size!!

This claims to be your size (is it the right style of cover?)

Last edited:
Try the metal cover one of these from wickes ones....https://www.wickes.co.uk/Clark-drain-5-Ton-Steel-Manhole-Cover+Frame---450-X-600mm/p/240730

If it fits, just use the cover, or refit the whole thing or if neither of these suits, take it back for a refund.

Brilliant, thanks all. I hadn't realised that it was the, sort of, maximum size of something that can fit into the actual hole rather than the size of the cover itself.

For amateurs, it might be useful for a DIY store (not so important for a building supplies place used by pros) to state both the cover size and the hole size.

Reply to wrong sized hole (manhole) in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a badly rusted manhole/inspection chamber cover which seems to be a non-standard size measuring 650mm x 450mm. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement cover with these dimensions? Before you ask the manhole slides under the wall with a lintel above it (god knows why they did it...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an opening on the 'manifold' (I think that's what its called) on my soil pipe. It appears to be a non-standard size - about 51mm internally. I'm trying to connect a 40mm floplast solvent weld pipe, and can't find a boss adaptor that even nearly fits. I can't cut a new hole above...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I have just joined, after being pushed into some DIY plumbing. Here is my first plumbing DIY effort. I had a cistern lever that didn't flush properly, and had become corroded and unsightly. I figured I'd get a plumber in to do it (after a couple of years apologising to guests for...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've an internal manhole cover in my garage, covering the main waste drains. Only moved into the house about 6 weeks ago but noticed it occasionally smells a bit cabbagey around the area of the cover. Have lifted, checked for blockage and cleaned out somewhat but still get a bit of smell...
Replies
Views
R
Greetings, esteemed community members, I find myself in possession of a remote and highly inaccessible plot of land, devoid of any utilities. On this land, there exists a well housing a 10-year-old pump that has never been utilized. I intend to conduct a thorough test using a portable...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock