Search the forum,

Discuss Working for a manufacturer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dave1

Have any of you guys had experience of working for a boiler manufacturer? If so what's the pros n cons??

Pros, can be access to parts and the truth !

Customer service on the phone, 'We never had that problem before'

Phone down 'Another XYZ model combi boiler won't fire'

Cons, paperwork and customer service expect you to continue their lies about this is the only one that needed a replacement ***

A mate of mine told me his mate got a job I had fancied in a local paper for a national gas fire manufacturer. It was working from home getting the jobs via a laptop. Problem was although good money the distance you have to be prepared to travel and the times you work. His mate packed it in or was going to pack it in the strain was just to much being out from about 7am until 11pm most nights. Be okay if you have got a Tardis probably.

It's a good way to learn the trade as you have to fix the things others can't and the buck stops with you.

Although I used to do 50,000 miles a year, being lazy it was handy to get paid to listen to the radio, but you can grow a fat arse.

I got to go on courses with really clever people who thought I was as clever as them as i kept my mouth shut, I found strangely enough I picked up(stole) some of their knowledge.

It handy to have as long as you need to put a job to bed as that can be where you learn the most.

Going on to a site with hundreds of boiler sales in the balance and very capable installers who know their stuff and you got to come up with the goods while you have them leaning over your shoulder picking your brains with their BS detecters turned to maximum, that's wel lhard.

Most faults are installer error, explaining that to a installers is the real art of the job as a lot of them are paranoid and think its all down to the manufacture adding inherent faults to the boilers to generate more £££ blah, blah, blah... (of courses it is) nothing to do with 14 mbar working pressure or sludge in the plate heat exchanger.

You get to hear the phrase "you're boilers ****" a lot.

I always treat a job as though it's my own house and I'm a believer in "you pay you're money it should work" but there are times unfortunately when I have to tow the party line, I always do my best for the installer/customer because as a trouble shooter if you don't have credibility your in trouble, as for the truth manufactures may be hiding, the truth is overrated.

Thanks guys, I'm just thinking with all these long boiler warrants about maybe it's the place to be for a steady job. I know the training is meant to be top draw which is also a big plus in my book. Not sure about Lind day though I'm a 8-5 guy don't like working late or weekends ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Working for a manufacturer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

200/210 or 250l indirect unvented cylinder... Pros and cons of both please guys, whats the thinking?? Better to go bigger, or are there other considerations to be thought of....?
Replies
Views
J
Hi, I've installed a macerator a while ago to manufactures specs, toilet, sink and shower. One problem I've always had is the shower tray is slow to empty and has over flowed a couple of times.To get around this if I run the sink tap at the same time all works fine and the shower tray does work...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m looking to find a replacement Collector circuit pump for a ground source heat pump. This is the pump on the brine circuit. The pump I have is no longer supported by the manufacture. It’s a Wilo TOP-S25/7.5 Any recommendations would be very welcome.
Replies
Views
I have TemCon balancing valves fitted on my sits and a questions been asked whether these require servicing. Can't find much info on the manufacturer website so can anyone confirm if they do and if so what level of service is required?
Replies
Views
Hi, guys! Hope you are all well. I have four solenoid valves connected to the main water supply, and they seem to break quite often. I believe it's the pressure that's causing this. I was thinking of adding a pressure valve to control the pressure before it goes through the solenoid valve. Do...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock