Discuss Wooden Water Butt Tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsr

Gas Engineer
Hello

Does anyone have any bright ideas for making a watertight fixing to a tap (outdoor type) to a wooden butt? A client has asked me to repair her "leaking butt"...
icon12.gif
Apparently there's a load of gooey stuff around the joint at the moment and this isn't working.

Cheers

RSR

Yes, done one of these.

Take an old stem from a float valve, remove the nut and other bits so you just have the long threaded part. Screw a brass tap backnut as far as it will go (hex side first). Next place a rubber waser on and put through the butt. Smear Boss White on the threads, then put a rubber washer over the end and another brass tap backnut and screw up tight. If the surfaces are uneven then use Boss White and hemp to fill the gaps.

You then have a 1/2" thread sticking out of the water butt. You need a 1/2" female union. Screw the outside tap into one end with hemp and boss white, then screw the other end of the union onto the thread sticking out of the butt with hemp and boss white too. Job done.

Don't use boss white or any other jointing compound with rubber washers it will make them stretch. Use ptfe.

PTFE won't seal anything as rough as a wooden tank. Use nylon washers and boss white with hemp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Wooden Water Butt Tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock