Discuss Willing to work for FREE! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

macpi4u

Will work for FREE!

Hello, I am looking to get taken on by a gas engineer in London or surrounding areas. I am currently doing my ACS training and need to work with a qualified person to gain on the job experience and create my portfolio. I have good knowledge in plumbing.

Plumber Experience (under the supervision of experienced Plumber)
  • Cut openings in structures to accommodate pipes and pipe fittings, using hand and power tools.
  • Filled pipes or plumbing fixtures with water or air and observed pressure gauges to detect and locate leaks.
  • Hung steel supports from ceiling joists to hold pipes in place.
  • Installed pipe assemblies, fittings, valves, appliances such as dishwashers and water heaters, and fixtures such as sinks and toilets, using hand and power tools.
  • Installed underground storm, sanitary and water piping systems and extend piping to connect fixtures and plumbing to these systems.
  • Located and marked the position of pipe installations, connections, passage holes, and fixtures in structures, using measuring instruments such as rulers and levels.
  • Measured, cut, threaded, and bent pipe to required angle, using hand and power tools or machines such as pipe cutters, pipe-threading machines, and pipe-bending machines.
  • Assembled pipe sections, tubing and fittings, using couplings, clamps, screws, bolts, cement, plastic solvent, caulking, or soldering, brazing and welding equipment.
  • Repaired and maintained plumbing, replacing defective washers, replacing or mending broken pipes, and opening clogged drains.
  • Cleared away debris in a renovation.
  • Kept records of assignments and produce detailed work reports.
The key strengths that I possess for success in this position include:

ü Quick and eager to learn new things
ü Thorough with a keen attention to detail
ü Strong work ethic
ü Self-starter
I currently live in Islington and I am willing to travel and meet you at the worksite. I can work full-time and during the week and weekends. I hope that you'll find my experience and interests intriguing enough to warrant a free of charge position with your firm, as I am confident that I could provide value to you and your customers as a member of your team.
I can be reached anytime via my mobile phone, 0781 645 2505. I do hope that you take the opportunity to consider me for this position as I know I can be a value added asset to your firm. Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to speaking with anyone about this opportunity

Last edited by a moderator:
whats the craic.
nice pitch.
i m no good to u . not in uk.
hope u get sorted though, best of luck.

well presented hope u get something try sending that out in a letter with a 20 mile radius you sound a good prospect for someone

HI There ! If you can tell me how and where start ACS courses that will be great !
Cheers!

Hi, this is a reply to Dick; I am a reliable and hardworking person. I know the value of someone time. I am not looking to waste anyone’s time. Financial gain is not my goal; but my goal is to gain knowledge and experience. With that I am willing to do whatever it takes. If it take me working for free for a few months I am willing to do that. I will say I am a mature person and there is no time or room for booing/complaining. Anyone can count on me.

Macpi4u....sorry you had to endure that sort of reply from that EX member..

He has now been removed and a few more if this non-provoked attacks to new comers or existing member happens again.

If anybody feels threatend by new comers to this trade then please do not visit the forums.

This is a place for all in the plumbing trade or diy who need advice to come and ask a question and get cival GOOD advice not for smart asses who think they know better than everyone else.

We want this to be the biggest and best place for plumbers etc to come and have some good banter and at the same time pass on some knowledge if they wish..

We have a lot of good members on here and it is bieng spoilt by a minor few who will be dealt with to keep this place a growing community.

Rant over but we are sick of all the complaints we are getting ...

thanks...dave,.

Re: Will work for FREE!

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
reply to Dave.......

I,m in the same boat as many newbies to plumbing and Gas... is there a way the site could be focused around all of us who are going throegh a de-motivating time at the mo. The forum is a great contact base. I'm worried that although it is a trade I love current financial times coupled with the fact that most gas engineers can and do operate solely that future generations are going to be in short supply. There seems to be a "I train you and you nick my work" attitude to overcome... Most of us newbies would show loyalty and enthusiasm to trainers if only given the chance. I know I would.

i'll be happy to help-am on site at the moment JUST let me find out when the boilers etc are going in then i will get back to you PM Me, what area are you in?

Hi Hardy1 am in the West London hayes Middlesex area....whats pm you im on 07951255243.

my name is Eddie im 45 and do drive, i have my own van and tools.

If anybody feels threatend by new comers to this trade then please do not visit the forums.

This is a place for all in the plumbing trade or diy who need advice to come and ask a question and get cival GOOD advice not for smart asses who think they know better than everyone else.

Can't really understand this, as I certainly feel threatened by newcomers.

It must be pretty obvious that there are guys out there who have been plumbing for decades and have seen their businesses undermined by operatives who have gained experience over weekends and through dubious college courses.

I feel there will be a growing tension as those who are working for free, become the next generation of plumbers and gas fitters - still working for free, when they consider their overheads.

There will be a fall-out from the over-supply within our industry; not to mention the drop in prices because of inexperienced business upstarts. Numbers being trained are not available, but if they were, few would invest their futures in this vocation.

The 'training' offered, sold and processed by colleges and training providers, is nothing short of a sham. It beggers belief that new operatives will work for nothing - isn't this slavery?

If we add slavery, to extorting money through false pretences (training for competence in simulated environments), this industry is on a road to ruin.

Plumbers out there have a lot to be worried about, and denying their voice, only adds to the other deceptions that are going on.

thoroughly agree with you clanger...... I personally cannot afford to work for free but how are us adults meant to support a career change. As stated in another thread I would gladly work alongside an experienced plumber / heating gas engineer but still need to survive. Newbies shouldnt be a threat but supported into the trade through appropriate schemes everyone benefits including future generations.

thoroughly agree with you clanger...... I personally cannot afford to work for free but how are us adults meant to support a career change. As stated in another thread I would gladly work alongside an experienced plumber / heating gas engineer but still need to survive. Newbies shouldnt be a threat but supported into the trade through appropriate schemes everyone benefits including future generations.

Its a tough one Eddie. If people are thinking of entering plumbing, I have no problem with this, but I do have a problem with people thinking the job only needs a few months experience - this actually undermines apprenticeship.

If people want to enter the industry then they should have to do the same as younger apprentices - 4 years. If they can't, do the four years, then they the public should have some way of choosing a professional who has 'time-served' an apprenticeship.

Apprenticeship is naturally sustainable, because apprentices displace old-timers and they maintain standards of experience and workmanship. Since short course entry has become the norm, we have unsustainable growth in the sector, so newcomers will never earn what they think, because the same route they took, will lead to the undermining of their own status as a plumber. Its an on-going recipe for low-wages and dodgy workmanship.

I don't think entrants realise how tough it actually is, to run a business, do the work, and get the money in. There really are easyier jobs than this.

Re: Will work for FREE!

Hello, I am looking to get taken on by a gas engineer in London or surrounding areas. I am currently doing my ACS training and need to work with a qualified person to gain on the job experience and create my portfolio. I have good knowledge in plumbing.

Plumber Experience (under the supervision of experienced Plumber)
  • Cut openings in structures to accommodate pipes and pipe fittings, using hand and power tools.
  • Filled pipes or plumbing fixtures with water or air and observed pressure gauges to detect and locate leaks.
  • Hung steel supports from ceiling joists to hold pipes in place.
  • Installed pipe assemblies, fittings, valves, appliances such as dishwashers and water heaters, and fixtures such as sinks and toilets, using hand and power tools.
  • Installed underground storm, sanitary and water piping systems and extend piping to connect fixtures and plumbing to these systems.
  • Located and marked the position of pipe installations, connections, passage holes, and fixtures in structures, using measuring instruments such as rulers and levels.
  • Measured, cut, threaded, and bent pipe to required angle, using hand and power tools or machines such as pipe cutters, pipe-threading machines, and pipe-bending machines.
  • Assembled pipe sections, tubing and fittings, using couplings, clamps, screws, bolts, cement, plastic solvent, caulking, or soldering, brazing and welding equipment.
  • Repaired and maintained plumbing, replacing defective washers, replacing or mending broken pipes, and opening clogged drains.
  • Cleared away debris in a renovation.
  • Kept records of assignments and produce detailed work reports.
The key strengths that I possess for success in this position include:

ü Quick and eager to learn new things
ü Thorough with a keen attention to detail
ü Strong work ethic
ü Self-starter
I currently live in Islington and I am willing to travel and meet you at the worksite. I can work full-time and during the week and weekends. I hope that you'll find my experience and interests intriguing enough to warrant a free of charge position with your firm, as I am confident that I could provide value to you and your customers as a member of your team.
I can be reached anytime via my mobile phone, 0781 645 2505. I do hope that you take the opportunity to consider me for this position as I know I can be a value added asset to your firm. Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to speaking with anyone about this opportunity[/QUOTE

if i wasnt stuck in this northern waste land called sheffield i would give you a go,just for being eager.seen way too many mobile phone addicted young trainees

Hi again clanger.... the government supports apprenmtiships but overlooks older workers with past experince. Plumbing is a difficult and thus well paid trade but it has to be one of the hardest to enter. I started another thread as I entered the trade through a fast track route but had 3 years previous experience and want to go on to gas and heating. Even with three years eperience i would not have the audacity to say i was a qualified plumber but trying to work alongside one to continue learning is a ridiculace hurdal to overcome l;ater in life..... This was my other thread that us old timers should have the same rights as "apprentices" and have as much to bring to the field...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Willing to work for FREE! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Any help, advice or personal experience appreciated. We are supplied by a lead pipe but on a shared supply. I am about house 4 out of a run...
Replies
Views
R
Hi guys OK I guess I am one of millions on here looking for an opening into the world of heating & plumbing I came into plumbing finally in 2011...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
S
Hello everyone, my name's Sam & I'm 28 years old. I'm currently serving in The Army & will be leaving within the next 10 months. Between now &...
Replies
Views
johno_uk
J
P
Hi, im full NVQ level 2 Qualified including 6129. Im currently working in Retail which is not where i wanna be. I understand its tough out there...
Replies
Views
plumberhirsty
P
D
Hi, At Construction Skills College we offer an introduction to plumbing course that is aimed at people with little or no experience at all. We...
Replies
Views
davecsc
D
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock