Discuss Why is my hot water only lukewarm, but radiators are boiling hot? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michelle1972

Hello,

I have a Baxi WM boiler which lives in my loft, which is working normally. This afternoon I have discovered my hot water seems to be virtually non existant, but the radiators are scorching hot. Everything was fine yesterday so not sure whats gone wrong

I turned the heating off leaving the hot water on, but after a while the radiators made noises like they had no water in them (if that makes sense...though they do have water in!). The hot water seemed to heat up a bit more though after that.

Later when I turned the heating turned back on the water cooled right down, so what could be the problem?
The hot water cylinder is only 5 or so years old. I really don't know much about plumbing. I have an 'Immersion Heater' switch which is also for heating water in the cylinder....correct? Why do you need one of these if the water is heated throught the boiler?? This is switched off though, has been for years.

Not sure if its connected but my very old shower 'Triton T80' is now set at No.8 to get the water to come out as hot as I'd like it.....guess this is due to its age?

I had problems recently with banging and juddering pipes and after investigating I found that I had knocked the switch on the pump from 2 to 3 so it was working full speed. Everything fine with that now I hope.
Any advice greatly appreciated, though I don't understand plumbing talk so try and make it as simple as possible....Blonde nad very dumb....Thanks

Hi, from what you say the most likely thing is like the previous guys have said is a motorised valve is faulty, there are many types some can be repaired but otherwise it may need replacing. As you are having problems with your heating also I wonder if you might have a blocked cold feed which would mean that the system in running dry of water (not uncommon). You need a plumber to fix whatever it is I would suggest. Shouldn't take more than 1 or 2 hours and the most expensive part would be a new motorised valve if that's what is required (cost to us guys up to £60). In the meantime it should be ok for you to use the immersion heater to get some hot water, that should be thermostaticly controlled so should turn itself off when the pre-set temperature is reach. Hope you find this helpful and good luck. Sam

see the wire at the front?.
there is a overide lever bellow it, press down then across it will then change the mode to heating and water.

i had one for years as i couldnt be bothered to fix it.lol.

Not to be recommended REDSAW, as this lever is to manually open the valve for venting and filling purposes only, if it is left in the open position with the heating running there is no control over the hot water temperature and the water cylinder temperature will just keep rising, possibly to a dangerous level. Please do not use this lever with the heating system running. SM

NO LINKS PLEASE

Last edited by a moderator:
i know it may be a little obvious but as i cannot see it previously mentioned check the cylinder stats setting and position as this may have a bearing on the little heat u are receiving other than that the gents are more than likely correct about the motorised valve......

Thanks to everyone for their help....although on checking water this morning it was hot?? Probablt best to get it checked over though yes?

Hmmmm no idea if I am being ripped off......I apparently have sludge in my system as the pipework around 3 components in my airing cupboard are now magenetic and copper pipes are not? I need new pump, airator and diverter valve....slightly modify the pipework in the cupboard as its not very accessible and labour.....£345......does this sound correct guys? Oh and if I8 wanted the system flushing it would be another £275 on top

I cannot afford to get the system flushed too so will changing the parts work? How do I know I actually need and that all the system just needs is a flush through?

If £345.00 includes VAT then it is probably fair, however be sure that you get some guarrantees. You are not buying a pump and valves, you are buying a solution to the problem. Some strategies for finding a good local plumber.... Gas safe register, trust a trader?? 2 websites that will give you access to local qualified guys.
Good luck

raymondo

Its £345 for cash no VAT. This includes the 3 parts, labour @ £60 ph and the slight modification of the pipework in airing cupboard, plus £275 if I want the system flushing....He's coming tomorrow

How do I know what wattage (8,9 or 10) my shower is as I believe I need a new one? And how long to fit and price please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Why is my hot water only lukewarm, but radiators are boiling hot? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock