Search the forum,

Discuss Why is a particular room in my flat so cold!!? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RichardG63

Hi all - I'd be grateful for any advice you may have time to give me.

I've been trying to work out why my sitting room is so cold, relative to other rooms in the house.

I live in a maisonette; there are two floors. The top floor consists of a bedroom only (loft conversion) and has 2 radiators within. There is a single roomstat in the hall (lower level) with a timeclock in the kitchen. The boiler is a Worcester Greenstar 24i combi. The radiators look like the following throughout (apart from a towel rad in the bathroom):

rads.JPG

If I set the roomstat to a high set-point, the temp in the bedroom got unbearably hot. So I closed one of the radiator valves which brought this room to a reasonable temp when the heating was on. I believe this sort of thing helps to balance a system; if a rad is getting too hot (particularly if it's higher up than others) then adjusting one of the valves so that flow of central hot water is reduced means that rad gets a little less hot and increases heat of other rads. Sorry just speaking my mind here please point out where I go wrong...

The problem is basically that the front room rads don't seem to get as hot (at least to the touch) as the other rads in the house. This front room is north facing, and recently I've had the window glass replaced with double glazing. But this has made very little difference so I can only presume that the rads aren't delivering enough heat.

It looks like the valves might be quite old, and so too the radiator designs. Do you think I should replace the rads with more modern versions and expect to see an improvement in heat output? If anyone could suggest some things to try I'd be v grateful; I'm prepared to replace the rads if that's what needs to be done in order to make the room habitable! TIA. Richard

Your rads are actually pretty modern. They are aluminium rads.
Sounds like your system need balancing. You can do this yourself if you have the patience and a bit of practical skills. It is not hard to do.
The radiator could also be undersized for the room. Trv's fitted to the rads would also benefit you. Maybe better getting a pro in to have a look who would explain your options on what he sees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Why is a particular room in my flat so cold!!? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock