Search the forum,

Discuss Where to put waste pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

marsaday

IMG_0001.jpgIMG_0002.jpgFrom the pics you can see i have 2 new pipes coming out of the wall for my shower and sink.

The best soultion is to run them into the downpipe at the side of the building. This means reducing the downpipe where the bend from the gutter hits it and fitting a hopper.

The gutter extension will sit on this and i will bring the 2 waste pipes into here as well.

The second solution is to extend the current hopper using new pipe and another hopper. The only problem will be the fan gets in the way, as will the light and gas pipe.

Any other ideas on which is best soultion. The first one will be the cheapest as all i need to buy is the hopper and it keeps away from all the problems. The only downside is maybe having to get a plastic gutter extension instead of using the current cast one (too heavy if sitting into a hopper ?)

Both downpipes run into the rain water system and not foul water.

looks like a fairly new house so i'd say no, your not allowed to connect into the RWP. needs to be the SWP

you would probably be best making a new stack from the drainage, or extending that existing stack and altering gas pipework and moving light

Last edited:
View attachment 2496View attachment 2497From the pics you can see i have 2 new pipes coming out of the wall for my shower and sink.

The best soultion is to run them into the downpipe at the side of the building. This means reducing the downpipe where the bend from the gutter hits it and fitting a hopper.

The gutter extension will sit on this and i will bring the 2 waste pipes into here as well.

The second solution is to extend the current hopper using new pipe and another hopper. The only problem will be the fan gets in the way, as will the light and gas pipe.

Any other ideas on which is best soultion. The first one will be the cheapest as all i need to buy is the hopper and it keeps away from all the problems. The only downside is maybe having to get a plastic gutter extension instead of using the current cast one (too heavy if sitting into a hopper ?)

Both downpipes run into the rain water system and not foul water.

get a plumber in.

mr williams, in your opinion, would we be better off making this website a blank page with the words "get a plumber in" written on it?

i do all my own plumbing work and am more than capable.

So the house is 100 yrs old and the bathroom waste goes into the the rain water pipes at present.

If i am adding a new bathroom and can simply build up my current hopper stack to take the new bathroom wastes, but i think it will look neater if i use the down pipe on the corner of the building.

your not ment to connect into RWPs, but people still do it. Is the drainage a single pipe system ? i.e does the RWP and SWP go into the same sewer ? if so then go for it.

no they are seperate i think. I have checked the drain cover in the drive which takes the foul water and no sign of wter coming through if i use the bathroom tap. So this must be on the rain water system.

i have asked bld control what what he thinks anyway. i wait to see what he says

if its a seperate system then I can't see building control allowing you to connect into the RWP

this is all really hazy for me and i've not really dealt with any of it since reading about it in college so just to get it straight then....

you shouldn't allow rain water drainage to mix with foul water drainage but it still gets done and if it's already in place on an existing installation you can add to it?

Well that is my situation and i am still not sure whether i can add to it. Waiting to hear from BC, but if anyone else knows out there it will be a help.

I'm connecting my kitchen sink into the rain water, mine is a single pipe system anyway and my basin goes into the RWP...

Hi. Just run a pipe discharging into existing hopper, terminating with a new hopper and run the waste int that. Both the gas pipe and vent will be accommodated by the use of stand off clips for the new pipe work. The existing hopper and pipe work will discharge into a trapped gully, installed to stop foul smelling air being emitted. It is likely that the R/water system does not use a trap at its base, which in the long term may creates smells as well as being the wrong side of building law.

by the looks of the picture,you have a soil pipe coming out of the wall under the window. Can you not run the wastepipes to this and boss them in. You will not be allowed to run them into the rain water.

need a picture of the soil stack really, can you not join the two new wastes and run them along under the four inch to the stack?? cant see the soil stack so hard to say

If in doubt send it into the hopper which your other basins discharge into.

mr williams, in your opinion, would we be better off making this website a blank page with the words "get a plumber in" written on it?
if all these people are capable or more than capable as marsaday says he is why are they asking questions i would expect a first year apprentice to be able to answer

Maybe because they are technically capable of doing the plumbing work but don't want to fall foul of regs that they may not be aware of. I am technically capable of most work but often choose to use a plumber for some works. I find that whilst they are onsite they are only too happy to advise on works that I am doing myself. My usual firm will often suggest that I do certain elements myself.

Considering the quality of some so called professional plumbers I find it commendable that a potential client checks out how things could or should be done, that way people like ratboy aka jamie with his magic torch, might get put out of business

I have just altered a number of exsisting waste pipes in the same street. The local water inspector had investigated contamination of the rain water drain and several people in the street had been sent letters warning them of being taken to court if they did not get them altered. Most of the bathrooms had been installed by the home owners themselves and had no idea or had not checked what drains they had.

Thanks for replies.

Spoken to BC and he says our street is a dual system, so they all discharge into foul water.

I can use a new hopper where i am wanting to (rather than extend the current one) and he will ok this, but he says it is not really allowed. however, he is private and is very flexible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Where to put waste pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock