Discuss Where do i stand regarding customers non payment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ashtonjay

I knew something was fishy from the start but the customer has literally waited for me to finish his bathroom today before telling me he hasn't got any money so
he cant pay me
i am about £480 down on materials and £2250 labour
the materials mainly consist of pipe,wastes,traps,pan connectors etc (nothing big like bath,toilet or sinks
he has been very sly all along and the builder and sparky have been treated the same
he has also hid behind his missis a lot

my friends advice ranges from take stuff from the house to things i wont mention on here

any advice fellas

this hasn't happened to me before though as builder friend of mins says it happens to builders about once every 3-5 years and i should just move on

Do you have anything in writing? Small claims court maybe, happened to me last year, only £600. Eventually got it back, payed in tiny installments

Feel your pain mate. Let the red mist subside and sell the debt to the local leg breakers.

I knew something was fishy from the start but the customer has literally waited for me to finish his bathroom today before telling me he hasn't got any money so
he cant pay me
i am about £480 down on materials and £2250 labour
the materials mainly consist of pipe,wastes,traps,pan connectors etc (nothing big like bath,toilet or sinks
he has been very sly all along and the builder and sparky have been treated the same
he has also hid behind his missis a lot

my friends advice ranges from take stuff from the house to things i wont mention on here

any advice fellas

this hasn't happened to me before though as builder friend of mins says it happens to builders about once every 3-5 years and i should just move on

You could try going to his place of work and asking him for payment 2 or 3 times That may make him pay up.

Feel for you mate. I agree with Simon, maybe first let him know your intentions, that might frighten him to find some money.

When he says he hasn't got any money does he mean he hasn't got ANY money?

Money Claim Online or Sheriffs Office?

yep do this but first send them a few demands for payment by recorded delivery you need a paper trail to prove to the court you have made reasonable attempts to recoveryour debt. send them a final demand for payment. then take them to court. very important to keep a paper trail.

forgot to add it can be a long process getting your money back but if the cust realises you mean business they may cave in and pay up.

worst thing you can do is let it go. its your money chase it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where in the country are you ashtonjay? If you're in the south I'd buy the debt off ya!

In answer to the question 'where do i stand'

The reply is

'next to the soilstack with a cordless drill and an expanding foam gun'

Failing that address several invoices addressed to the non paying scumbag from xxxxxaddress
And post to all his neighbours(accidentally) then they all know what a turd he is.

when i got stung years back for about £3500.00 i often thought of the foam in soil stack trick.

The reply is

QUOTE]

Don't forget to push up the bracket before you drill and slide it back down wgen you've foamed it.

The reply is

QUOTE]

Don't forget to push up the bracket before you drill and slide it back down wgen you've foamed it.

PURE CLASS
this is the first thing i,m gonna do
along with a few other little tricks
plus he has a nice new BMW that's gonna "not be on his drive" by weekend

Seriously though, as Jules Verne says. Send him a couple of reminders, a final notice and then get a solicitors letter drafted.

Just remember though, us plumbers have very long memories :)

Don't forget to turn water off in the street and pour some dry wall adhesive down there......

The customer must have given some excuses, can't imagine he just said "I've got no money and that's that" or did he?

Read up as much as you can on small claims court, make sure your paperwork is spot on, plus any photos of your work. It wont cost much in fees for a debt that much and again that can be claimed back. I've only had to go down that route twice and they paid in full, on both ocassions within 24 hours of court appearance. Definately worth doing imo

im owed money at the moment all i did was send a text message saying 'want payment by friday or your getting chinned lol '
the lol was a to make them think i'm joking unbeknown to them i'm not

Hassle hassle hassle. No other way, a builder tried to get away without paying and you have to phone them, go round their house and maybe turn up at their work even Facebook.

make sure he knows your not going to go away or stop phoning until you get your money. If he doesn't make a start of paying it back then let him know he will regret it. The second he thinks he will get away with it you have no chance.

I would employ the local yobo's to take part in any actions required while I sit back at home.

along with a few other little tricks
plus he has a nice new BMW that's gonna "not be on his drive" by weekend

hmm, wonder what would happen if the car went for a short ride in the middle of the night, scraped and bruised down all sides then neatly parked back where it was. the insurance company would cover that right?? lol

Just shocking.

I'd like to know how the customer calmly explained this and you walked out their home without tearing them a new one.

I would of said nothing after he told me he had no money. Then walked into his bathroom & start ripping it all out with just a hammer....

Bet he would of found the money then, :asshole: :asshole: :asshole: :asshole:.

I would of said nothing after he told me he had no money. Then walked into his bathroom & start ripping it all out with just a hammer....

Bet he would of found the money then, :asshole: :asshole: :asshole: :asshole:.

Done that before (a ceiling) and the euphoric feeling was amazing.

Awful people,
Been ripped off a couple of times. One of the customers, the builder sided with the customer as the customers dad was the architect that gave the builder 90% of his work.
Photos are good, record the dates and hours that you worked, any txt msgs or phonecall records to prove that you have been corresponding with said customer.
Invoice as normal. wait a couple of weeks, if no reply, invoice again but recorded delivery.If no reply another recorded delivery letter with a letter asking for a reason for non payment. Then you have shown willing (if it gets to court) that you've tried to resolve the issue.
Then a nice non-threatening letter threatening legal action, again, recorded delivery (keep the receipts, they will have to pay any reasonable costs).
Then small claims courts.
https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview

Don't let them get away it!

I think there are people who always do that - because they can. And often will get away with it because chasing them for money takes effort.

The process is simple:
Send a letter ASAP telling them you intend to take legal action within timescale (perhaps 14 -28 days). if payment is not received.
AND that interest and legal costs will be added to the debt.

Then send them another letter - same again, closer to your deadline.
Then start court proceedings - it doesn't cost much.
I have heard that most people pay by this stage.

We have had to take 2 customers the whole way to court which means it can take a year before you get paid!
but the only down side to customer is they pay a tiny bit of interest and mall court costs - so it was like a cheap load to them!

just won a small claims online recently but blighter hasnt coughed, but his credit record is now wasted, next stop another £100 for bailiffs to visit. but I must pop round first to let him know my next actions with a reminder invoice and see how big he is!, funny thing theres not that many bigger than me:)

Happens all the time, some people have no shame, pursue it as much as possible,

i know of a guy who "accidentally" sprayed a non payer's car with brake fluid from a squeezy bottle..... complete respray needed.... and guess what.... that also got ruined.....bet the excess on the policy was a pain!!!:smartass:

just sell the debt to some meathead debtcollectors at least you'll recover about 75%...safe in the knowledge hes probably **** himself paying it..

The reply is

Failing that address several invoices addressed to the non paying scumbag from xxxxxaddress
And post to all his neighbours(accidentally) then they all know what a turd he is.

Fill and fix foam down the boiler flue whole can so it does the for it and really costs him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Where do i stand regarding customers non payment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm after some help regarding my Father in laws heating system. He has had a local engineer around but hasn't had a fix and is very remote so...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I have been working for myself for around 2 years now and I have started doing work for bathroom shower in Glasgow. It worked great...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock