Discuss When refilling CH system, how do you go about it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
The last few OV systems I have drained have caused me absolute nightmares when filling back up.

I will admit they were poor systems, need flushing, pumps and div valves seen better days but working.

I don't know what im doing wrong but I have been seriously struggling with circulation/air problems recently. Been finishing late because of it and im getting annoyed and frustrated. I will happily work 20hr days if the money is right but I don't get paid any overtime before anyone shoots me down.

Went to a job on Friday, cold feed blocked, very awkward job so boss booked it in for today so no problems to be dealt with over the weekend. Surprisingly easy for me to clear blockage etc and refilled the system.

Worcester RI, for ages it was just firing up for 5 seconds and then going off, I remembered that rubber hose with the twist handle inside so pointed that in a container - loads of air phew! fired up nicely but still not circulating properly. Been stopping and starting pump and bleeding it but no improvement. Been ill since Friday was bedded down all weekend and it was a struggle today, phoned boss at 16.10 and said systems filled ok but not circulating, get told keep stopping and starting pump. Said that's what I have been doing with no joy. He said keep doing it if you have any problems give me a call (I thought that's what I was doing). Spent another hour on it and told the customer it might clear itself, if not call us in the morning and i'll be sent back.

Now I know that's not perfect for the customer but they have a gas fire, electric heaters and an immersion so they can survive the night. If I wasnt Ill I would have stayed longer. I was exhausted and feeling worse and worse (get the violins out) Ill be shocked if I don't have to go back tomorrow.

Anyway, what are your procedures for filling up? I know some sytems can be a nightmare anyway but everyone I go to at the minute is causing me stress.

When will you turn the heating/hw on? Today I filled the entire system before I switched anything on. Will this have made things more difficult?

I know there's no set answers but any advice/hints/tips would be great, thanks.

If there's a mid position valve, I will lock it in mid position when drianing/refilling.

As it's filling, bleed the radiators and any thumb vents in the a/c.

Once all full, chuck it on and get any air out of the pump.

I've very rarely had a problem filling back up. Only issue I've had it draining, try fill back up and the cold feed is blocked!

I don't know if I have just come across some dodgy systems or I'm doing something wrong. I was ready to start smashing the boiler with a hammer today.

Bit of an exaggeration :)

Open all the zone valves manually before filling.

Don't let the boiler Fire, the air will expand when hot and cause more problems.

Do the stop/start pump thing but when you hear the air causing the pump to cavitate, stop the pump and listen to the air rush to the top (where there will hopefully be an air vent) give it a few seconds to settle,bleed the air off and repeat.

If it's a plan, put it into hot water only and get the primaries clear before circulating the heating and shoving all the air into the smaller heating pipes.

you should be able to learn to hear where the air is in the system and stop/start to clear.

Touch wood, other than a heat pump the other day (which are notorious for air locks) I can't remember the last time I couldn't get an airlock shifted in less than 10 minutes. Maybe luck, probably just gone and jinxed myself now.

Last edited:
if it looks like being a bad filler while it drained cut in a lever valve to refill through as i said before drain as little as you need to shut rads, hose hooked up to the height your working at some times leaving the hose open till you can hear it filling helps

After being caught out a couple of times I always check where the cold feed and vent are before I drain, if it's not right I put it right.

Then valves open/mid position turn water on with drain off still open, run through for a minute or 2 (let's you see what is coming out as well) shut the drain off and go round bleed the rads/ thumb vent etc, if you can turn the boiler off without stopping the pump then do then run for a minute (if you can't isolate the gas to it) you will hear the air shoot around turn pump off quick bleed then boiler on and run.

If it's still struggling then bucket under the pump and keep bleeding (if you can).

9 times out of 10 it will be fine but you will always get 1 which is usually a microbore system where you have to run a rad at a time.

if it looks like being a bad filler while it drained cut in a lever valve to refill through as i said before drain as little as you need to shut rads, hose hooked up to the height your working at some times leaving the hose open till you can hear it filling helps

I'm going to start doing that with the rad valves Steve, thanks. Just don't want to run into balancing issues as a result.

Last edited:
ive found bunging the open vent to be a good tip got it from here so it stops drawing in air through it whilst filling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to When refilling CH system, how do you go about it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have flushed a CH system removed each Rad and removed any residue of black sludge filled the system up and treated with inhibitor. However after...
Replies
Views
My father has a parkray fire which has a back boiler . He had a leaky radiator, when he was attempting to fix leak the circulating pump...
Replies
Views
RobinA
R
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem...
Replies
Views
Hello friends - I really struggle to understand my heating and hot water system I posted my question on Diynot but it ended up being five pages...
Replies
Views
Hi all, new to this forum and looking for a bit of advice please. Have been noticing recently some odd behaviour with our hot water system. If...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock