Discuss When customers insist they want a quote for a small job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

What a day wasted , i thought i had 4 small jobs booked in , two jobs with taps a float valve and a house with few odds and sods.

Turned up at all of them wanting quotes to fit new taps if they supplied , the float valve one this bloke took the lid of and goes how much to fit that . When i said supply fit 80 he said ideal but needs 4 more quotes !!!!

Absolutely wasted my time today , if its faulty it needs a repair not endless quotes ffs
Just one of them days

What a day wasted , i thought i had 4 small jobs booked in , two jobs with taps a float valve and a house with few odds and sods.

Turned up at all of them wanting quotes to fit new taps if they supplied , the float valve one this bloke took the lid of and goes how much to fit that . When i said supply fit 80 he said ideal but needs 4 more quotes !!!!

Absolutely wasted my time today , if its faulty it needs a repair not endless quotes ffs
Did none mention wanting a quote only?

I wouldn’t go out to quote for a ball valve job. That is ridiculous.
That sort of job might only take a couple minutes to do the job, plus all the other time involved spent looking at it, getting tools from van, etc and travel time.
So for a potential customer to ask you to do everything other than fix the fault - all for free, is robbing you of time you could be earning elsewhere.
Just quote them on the phone your callout and hourly rate.

I wouldn’t go out to quote for a ball valve job. That is ridiculous.
That sort of job might only take a couple minutes to do the job, plus all the other time involved spent looking at it, getting tools from van, etc and travel time.
So for a potential customer to ask you to do everything other than fix the fault - all for free, is robbing you of time you could be earning elsewhere.
Just quote them on the phone your callout and hourly rate.
So if the custard had water leaking from the overflow in the loft you wouldn’t go and inspect? You would just quote?

Do you give them a rough idea of price over the phone?

I'd be fuming if that was me I would probably say dont bother phoning me.

So if the custard had water leaking from the overflow in the loft you wouldn’t go and inspect? You would just quote?

For a customer, - yes I would go out to inspect cause of water leak and then repair it.
But for a potential customer who might be a conman, or Scrooge, I wouldn’t go out to look at small emergency jobs like overflows just to quote for them.
Different a mystery leak or other job that might be easy or difficult, - I would go out to see what was wrong, if I want the job and if I did, then quote for it.

I have a regular customer who wants fixed prices. Last time she wanted a fixed price on changing a sink. I said hard to give one as she was supplying the sink (even her daughter was on my side). But that if she really needed a fixed price, £150 plus parts. I had seen the job previously but hadn't much more than glanced at it and there was no new and slightly different sink to compare with.

Eventually she called me back. I turned up, asked if we were going for hourly rate or fixed price. She said fixed price and was then pleased to discover she'd remembered it as £170, so the whole job only cost her around £155 including materials: less than she'd expected.

I was pleased too, as, while the job wasn't local and I had to sort out some old plumbing that fell apart when I tightened a compression fitting onto an existing pipe, I was able to work quite calmly and still take home a reasonable hourly rate at the end of it all.

Sometimes I just quote high and then when it all takes forever I'm getting paid enough.

What if the coil in the cylinder had gone when you arrived on site?

I would charge £60 diagnosis but because a replacement cylinder is a big enough job I would say if you go with me I will knock the price of the diagnosis off the install. But obviously add a little bit on like I do with all my quotes to cover my time pricing. :D

My way of looking at it is if they phone up and say they want a quote and say it is a cylinder change I will happily go out and do a price for them. If they phone up and say i have a problem can you come and have a look i will say no problem it is £60 to diagnose the problem i will give you a price to repair it.

I had one a couple of months ago I went out to do a breakdown on a Saturday morning (I was running late on the friday so had to cancel) when I got the it was low pressure so I topped up and checked expansion vessel etc and they were on about wanting a new boiler, as I had only been there for 10 minutes and I felt guilty I couldn't get to them the night before as she has kidney problems (she is proper yellow) I said as you want a new boiler I will give you your quote and wont charge you for today. They were saying they were expecting the quote to be around 2k i came in at around £17-1800 and every time i go past the house now still see the same boiler in place. So basically i was played for a fool but when the boiler goes down again i wont put myself out to get there.

I would charge £60 diagnosis but because a replacement cylinder is a big enough job I would say if you go with me I will knock the price of the diagnosis off the install. But obviously add a little bit on like I do with all my quotes to cover my time pricing. :D

My way of looking at it is if they phone up and say they want a quote and say it is a cylinder change I will happily go out and do a price for them. If they phone up and say i have a problem can you come and have a look i will say no problem it is £60 to diagnose the problem i will give you a price to repair it.

I had one a couple of months ago I went out to do a breakdown on a Saturday morning (I was running late on the friday so had to cancel) when I got the it was low pressure so I topped up and checked expansion vessel etc and they were on about wanting a new boiler, as I had only been there for 10 minutes and I felt guilty I couldn't get to them the night before as she has kidney problems (she is proper yellow) I said as you want a new boiler I will give you your quote and wont charge you for today. They were saying they were expecting the quote to be around 2k i came in at around £17-1800 and every time i go past the house now still see the same boiler in place. So basically i was played for a fool but when the boiler goes down again i wont put myself out to get there.

Go the next time they call you and just make sure the job you do somehow costs a little extra. The 5 minute job might take an hour or any part supplied might be slightly more expensive than normal.

Reply to When customers insist they want a quote for a small job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Folks, Where is the place to order a Vaillant filling loop, please? I looked around on the net but can't seem to find it as a kit. I'm not...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, A plumber did some work for me and has done so in the past as well and has been great which is why I hire him. Anyway the last job...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a gas engineer who I can work with so I can complete my portfolio. I have done level 2 and 3 tech cert along with bpec gas...
Replies
Views
Hi I have recently bought a house which is 17 years old. There was a small leak from one of the radiators So I took the pipe off and drained the...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I am in the process of trying to open a new Plumbing Wholesalers in Wales / Western England. I have identified distributors and...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock