Discuss What is the thread out of the top of a hot water cylinder? in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I want to fit a sussex flange to a standard hot water cylinder about 10 years old, normally there is a 1inch bsp tapping, this one has a male thread out of the top with a compression 28mm to 22 mm end feed reducer, held in place by a 28mm nut and olive, it does not have a male iron to copper fitting, the threaded bit looks to be screwed directly into the cylinder but if so how can it have a 28mm compression nut to the top if the part that enters the cylinder is 1 inch bsp?

Do you have a photo? I think some cylinders do have a nut and olive on the outlets.

Like Telford for example
TYPHOONCR.png

Out of interest, does the cylinder have a unused secondary return connection on the side?

If you want a air free source for a pump, you can use the secondary.
Although it wont be 100% air free and unfortunately we have to be as pedantic as the pump manufacturers are in their IOMs if we want them to stand by their products :(

Well, at this point I'd be inclined to buy a 28mm Flowflex brand compression coupling and check its thread against the specifications for 1" BSP. That said, you can already get a vernier onto what you have there to check and, by eye, I have a hunch that that isn't BSP thread (looks too fine).

Well, at this point I'd be inclined to buy a 28mm Flowflex brand compression coupling and check its thread against the specifications for 1" BSP. That said, you can already get a vernier onto what you have there to check and, by eye, I have a hunch that that isn't BSP thread (looks too fine).
Hi Ric, thanks for replying, I used a vernier gauge already and the pipe out of the cylinder, the od is about 2.5mm larger than the 1inch BSP thread on the Sussex flange od, so definitely not BSP, I think the owner will need a new cylinder as well, I'm not going to try for an Essex flange unless I really have to.

Reply to What is the thread out of the top of a hot water cylinder? in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock