Discuss What is the thread out of the top of a hot water cylinder? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I want to fit a sussex flange to a standard hot water cylinder about 10 years old, normally there is a 1inch bsp tapping, this one has a male thread out of the top with a compression 28mm to 22 mm end feed reducer, held in place by a 28mm nut and olive, it does not have a male iron to copper fitting, the threaded bit looks to be screwed directly into the cylinder but if so how can it have a 28mm compression nut to the top if the part that enters the cylinder is 1 inch bsp?

Do you have a photo? I think some cylinders do have a nut and olive on the outlets.

Like Telford for example
TYPHOONCR.png

Out of interest, does the cylinder have a unused secondary return connection on the side?

If you want a air free source for a pump, you can use the secondary.

Out of interest, does the cylinder have a unused secondary return connection on the side?

If you want a air free source for a pump, you can use the secondary.
Although it wont be 100% air free and unfortunately we have to be as pedantic as the pump manufacturers are in their IOMs if we want them to stand by their products :(

Do you have a photo? I think some cylinders do have a nut and olive on the outlets.
Sorry for the delay, I've been trying to contact the manufacturers.

Attachments

• 2021-10-10 (1).png
    2021-10-10 (1).png
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20211010_101322414_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211010_101322414_HDR.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20211010_101341667.jpg
    IMG_20211010_101341667.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20211010_101354176.jpg
    IMG_20211010_101354176.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 19
Well, at this point I'd be inclined to buy a 28mm Flowflex brand compression coupling and check its thread against the specifications for 1" BSP. That said, you can already get a vernier onto what you have there to check and, by eye, I have a hunch that that isn't BSP thread (looks too fine).

Well, at this point I'd be inclined to buy a 28mm Flowflex brand compression coupling and check its thread against the specifications for 1" BSP. That said, you can already get a vernier onto what you have there to check and, by eye, I have a hunch that that isn't BSP thread (looks too fine).
Hi Ric, thanks for replying, I used a vernier gauge already and the pipe out of the cylinder, the od is about 2.5mm larger than the 1inch BSP thread on the Sussex flange od, so definitely not BSP, I think the owner will need a new cylinder as well, I'm not going to try for an Essex flange unless I really have to.

Reply to What is the thread out of the top of a hot water cylinder? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm blanking a couple of openings in a hot water cylinder. The Screwfix Flomasta 1" BSP plugs fit perfectly but no washer supplied or...
Replies
Views
In short: Do suppliers sometimes list BSPT as BSP? I need a tee, 22mm each end with a BSPT in the middle for an expansion vessel to dangle from...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a hot water cylinder which feeds 3 outlets (kitchen sink, basin in bathroom & bathtap) which has never had very good pressure (probably...
Replies
Views
Hiya, we had a new pressurised hot water cylinder fitted a few weeks ago even though its double the size of our last one we are finding we aren't...
Replies
Views
I have a hot water cylinder which has low carbon steel pipework to it - I have tried to add some pictures I need to replace the cylinder because...
Replies
Views
Back