Search the forum,

Discuss Weeping compression fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

stratplus

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
How is it that when something is worked on in the area that compression fittings are fitted, the compression start to weep even though they haven't been touched and when you try to nip them up they are solid?

I was at one last job yesterday under a floor that managed to work itself slack fully a turn. It hadn't been touched since the day it went in.

I was at one last job yesterday under a floor that managed to work itself slack fully a turn. It hadn't been touched since the day it went in.

Went to one yesterday, bg had changed some kitchen taps and an existing comp elbow had started to weep. Tried to nip it up and was solid couldn't turn it at all. Had to re-make with sone jointing compound.

Thing is you see loads of compression fittings behind kitchen cupboards which are inaccessible. If they leak due to you working on another joint it becomes a problem. End feed everytime for me.

only reason a comp joint will leak is because youve disturbed it.

i always tighten the olive on the pipe then undo it and wrap some PTFE around then tighten it back up. it takes a bit longer but it saves it leaking in a few years time

i always tighten the olive on the pipe then undo it and wrap some PTFE around then tighten it back up. it takes a bit longer but it saves it leaking in a few years time

the fact you under it then wrap ptfe round it is more likely to damage the joint and cause it to leak. If u must, wipe a bit of jonting compound on tighten it up and then squeeze another 1/2 turn max.

if high pressure fuel lines rely on an olive joint with no ptfe or gunk why are plumbers bothering to faff around and and not make joints as they are designed to be made.

the fact you under it then wrap ptfe round it is more likely to damage the joint and cause it to leak. If u must, wipe a bit of jonting compound on tighten it up and then squeeze another 1/2 turn max.

if high pressure fuel lines rely on an olive joint with no ptfe or gunk why are plumbers bothering to faff around and and not make joints as they are designed to be made.

So what do you do when there is a weep and the joint is already solid and won't tighten anymore? You've got no choice but to undo it and add some jointing compound or ptfe.
Out of interest:
Ptfe or jointing compound?

jointing compound!! I put it on every compression joint, never have any problems with them . don't bother with ptfe , only on threads!

Compression joints will tend to weep very slightly - particularily cheap fittings or poorly made or designed olives & copper olives on hot pipes. The weeps are invisible normally & are only evident if you see a bit of a stain pipe & seized nuts are proof the fitting has been weeping. Soldered fittings for me everywhere I can & any compression fitting I use Jet Lube paste which guarantees a sealed joint.

I always wipe a smear of jointing compound between the olive and the fitting on the bevel edged margin. To my way of thinking it will compress better and seal any inconsistencies on the joint. PTFE is a second best, the water's already past the olive by then :disappointed:.... and it looks neater too, no white stripe!
Regards, TerryH

original fitting prob over tightend when fitted. Too many cheap compression fittings around now, conex or yorkshire if your not paying :)

Twenty+ years ago did some pipework replacement in an OPH which had been piped in hard copper and brazed because that was all they had during the copper shortage in the 70s. Soon as you did one joint the next joint would start leaking. Sort that and the next one on would leak. Turned a two day job into three weeks :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Weeping compression fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock