Search the forum,

Discuss Weeping 10mm compression joint on radiator TRV in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
After four years of not leaking, the 10mm compression joint on one of my son's TRVs has decided to weep -resulting in combi pressure loss within a few days. I have slackened it off a tad and retightened and will keep an eye on it. It was already very tight, so I am expecting it to still weep and to have to undo it completely in the near future. I guess this will mean having to drain the system? My plan would be to remove old olive, replace with a new brass one and a dollop of paste. Is that the best way to do it? Or would a dollop of paste be enough? I'm pretty sure no paste was used when the plumber did the valves.

Dump pressure. Close rad valves. Loosen nut off but hold pipe in place. Drop nut down pipe, wrap some ptfe around olive and tighten up. Open rad valves. Re pressurise. Sorted

You might be better to take the easy way and just wrap a few turns of ptfe tape around the olive and gently nip the nut up again, if the olive seems okay. A very slight smear of paste would do no harm also, - I use V2 Jet Lube.
Maybe the pipe or valve had got a knock and it started a weep. Brass olives are better on heating pipes, but the 10mm copper is very soft. A pipe support originally would have helped the joint. On the very few occasions I had to use 10mm on heating, I preferred to use 15mm rad valves and have a soldered reducer 10x15mm (15mm male end type) to go to valve so that the copper was hard and would withstand movement

You guys are amazing - always so helpful! Greatly appreciated. I will give it a go with tape - which I have, and Jetlube V2 - which I also have. Never used Loctite 55.

55 cord is for threaded joints...

Ptfe or jet lube on an dodgy olive...

If it's an old crimped reducer on the 10mm then may need cutting out & repairing as these leak when knocked...

I shall let you know the outcome when I get round to doing it - when the weather warms up, so that will be on August 3rd at 14:05 until 14:15.

I shall let you know the outcome when I get round to doing it - when the weather warms up, so that will be on August 3rd at 14:05 until 14:15.

Wasn`t it a leap year this year, that will throw your calculations out ! lol

loctite 577 on threads. 10mm pipe is very malleable so a few wraps of tape should sort it, gas tape would be even better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Weeping 10mm compression joint on radiator TRV in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I am replacing some radiators and using new fittings. Most radiator valves now come with a compression interface rather than a union interface to the radiator tail. It seems to me that it would be rather difficult, if not impossible, to remove a radiator at a later date for decorating when...
Replies
Views
Been in the garage having a practise with 3-part compression reducers on 10mm Speedfit pipe and it hasn’t gone particularly well and i wonder what i am doing wrong? I found that the olive (swapped a copper one for the brass one due to plastic pipe) and bottom part that pokes out of the nut were...
Replies
Views
Hi, I would appreciate a little help. I am unlucky enough to have an 8mm microbore gravity fed indirect central heating system (11 Radiators) on a 30 year old free-standing floor boiler. The radiator valve/lockshield are the twin entry type (8mm). All the radiators are fine except for two: a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a standard radiator (1/2" female bsp) on which I'm installing a new lockshield/TRV kit. The lockshield is similar to this: What happens if I remove the nut and everything on its left in the pic, and screw the valve directly into the radiator (with PTFE)? This would simplify my space...
Replies
Views
I have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to work out the best approach to fitting valves to my new towel rail, but i just don’t have the experience to know the best approach and would appreciate input from you guys. If i get this wrong, it’s going to be a major PITA to correct...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock