Discuss Water Supply from Washing Machine Feed in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Insert was fully in and l tightened the nut and olive so there was no sign of a leak when water fully restored. I checked for half a day before allowing washing machine to be used. Maybe it wasn't tight enough given the pressure it was under when washer in use. I guess that is the most likely cause. Is it standard practice to connect plastic to metal iso valves without problems?

Insert was fully in and l tightened the nut and olive so there was no sign of a leak when water fully restored. I checked for half a day before allowing washing machine to be used. Maybe it wasn't tight enough given the pressure it was under when washer in use. I guess that is the most likely cause. Is it standard practice to connect plastic to metal iso valves without problems?
Yes it is standard practice. You can connect plastic pipe to any compression fitting as long as you use an insert and compress the olive enough.

When the pipe came out of the iso valve was the insert and olive left in the iso valve?

Yes it is standard practice. You can connect plastic pipe to any compression fitting as long as you use an insert and compress the olive enough.

When the pipe came out of the iso valve was the insert and olive left in the iso valve?
All a bit of blurr. I think the olive and insert were still on the pipe but not 100%. It could be that the insert was left in the iso. As I say all a bit of blurr given the panic at the time!

I used the insert with the blue o rings because I heard they were better than the standard plastic ones (John Guest Speed fit Super Seal)

Wrong insert you need the one without the blue oring

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/jg-speedfit-plastic-push-fit-pipe-inserts-15mm-10-pack/64318

As the depth isn’t enough for compression

I appreciate your interest in this issue. Yes, I just put a three inch length of copper into the iso and joined it to the plastic with Speedfit coupler. I feel so much more confident about it and so far no trace of a leak. I saw the idea of using copper on compression joints and then join to plastic on a You Tube discussion thread. The arrangement was labelled as "bomb proof". I was so traumatized by what happened, I liked the idea of "bomb proof".

Wrong insert you need the one without the blue oring

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/jg-speedfit-plastic-push-fit-pipe-inserts-15mm-10-pack/64318

As the depth isn’t enough for compression
Thanks, I wish I had known that at the time. Because they have the rubber O rings and they cost more, I assumed they would give a better seal so I used that one in the compression joint and the normal ones in the other joints.

Reply to Water Supply from Washing Machine Feed in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Back