Discuss Water leak outside property in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

What is the surface of the route from meter to stopcock?
By which I mean; tarmac, slabs, grass concrete etc etc.
Approximately 35m soil and gravel top remaing 7/8m is patio slabs. I did have a though that if I could expose the pipework in a few places, easier said than done mind, is it possible to hire a freezing machine suitable for mpde in that way I could isolate sections as suggested previously?

So no tell tale “lush grass “ areas!
How far away is outbuilding?
Is pipe mdpe or old galvanised?
Mdpe from meter to house but somewhere it changes to 15mm copper before entering outbuilding. No signs of moisture anytime in summer so no clues there. Have got a guy to come round next week and do a bit of digging so we will see,

I did have a though that if I could expose the pipework in a few places, easier said than done mind, is it possible to hire a freezing machine suitable for mpde in that way I could isolate sections as suggested previously
You don't need to freeze MDPE, use a squeeze off tool

You'll probably find it cheaper if you search, or make one yourself

The squeeze off tool has round jaws and the pipe has some memory and will recover from being squashed.

Leak could be anywhere from the junction onwards, how deep is it buried ?

The squeeze off tool has round jaws and the pipe has some memory and will recover from being squashed.

Leak could be anywhere from the junction onwards, how deep is it buried ?
Good question. Was meant to have a guy around today to dig some holes. He has Covid and his wife was made redundant yesterday hence reason for his non appearance. I will dig a few myself and see where that leads me. I think in this freezing weather I would be tempted to warm the pipe up a bit before I started squeezing it. £26 off *bay so worth a punt at that.
And while I am it I looked at slip couplings the price does seem to vary enormously for the same thing.

MDPE Water Pipe Repair Slip Coupling 7610 - Water Pipe Fittings | Drainage Central - https://www.drainagecentral.co.uk/MDPE-Water-Pipe-Repair-Slip-Coupling-7610 £19

Plasson Universal Slip Repair Coupling 31-35 X 31-35mm 176100031035 - https://www.cityplumbing.co.uk/p/plasson-universal-slip-repair-coupling-31-35-x-31-35mm-176100031035/p/898884 £46

Am Imissing something obvious?

Last edited:
First one is a picture of a plasson fitting the bottom one is a universal fitting

Both made by Plasson apart from colour is there any other difference?
Yes as Shaun says, the first fitting you have to buy in the specific size you need, the second is a different design of seal that fits a range of sizes 31 to 35mm. The first doesn't have flexibity for slightly different size pipes. I believe it's a more complicated product hence a higher price.

Reply to Water leak outside property in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have discovered a very old end feed 22mm t connector under the bath is very gently weeping water. It’s in a place and with pipework that are...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I've joined the forum today as I've found myself going round in circles with what I think might be a pretty simple problem, hoping...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the...
Replies
Views
Good morning I installed a Harvey’s water softener recently. Have a semi detached property with 3 showers and a 2 toilets with a mega flow...
Replies
Views
    • Winner
Hi all, I joined today and am a newbie at plumbing DIY. Thought I'd share my experience replacing the stopcock under my sink. The old one looked...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock