Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Water leak in my garden. Advice please? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rooster

Hi all,

Since the heavy rains at the weekend, I have what appears to be a spring in my garden at the rear of the property. It's flow rate is continuous and has not abated since. It is clear water. Luckily it is running into my main drain approximately six feet away downhill, but a puddle and very soggy ground surrounding the area is becoming a problem.

I contacted the Water board to report the leak, as i suspected it was either Mains or Supply pipe leaking. As there has been no subsequent drop in my water supply, I can only think this is coming from someone elses backyard. There is no loud noise (like you would expect from Mains supply). The Engineer that came out stated he didn't think it was Mains water, as our supply has not stopped and that it was likely to be run off from the surrounding area. He took a water sample (only after we asked him to investigate) to ascertain whether the water was Mains or Sewage and they will not do anything until the result is known!

What can I do about this? Any advice would be extremely helpful please.

Wait until the weather gets a bit more drier. It is highly likely to be underground water after the exceptionally heavy continuous rain a lot of UK has had lately.
Water always goes to a level and heavily flooded higher ground will fill the ground below you and find a spot to appear

Best - Thanks for this. It has been continuous for the last six days and has not dropped off in it's flow rate? Is there anything we can do about it to aid faster drainage in future if that's what it is?

Natural underground streams are everywhere and we often don't realise.
You could mark the spot where the spring is coming from and have that area dug up later and underground drainage pipes put from there to a suitable place. Don't just drain it towards a neighbours or they could take action against you.
Really the ground is waterlogged in most areas at present.

turn off your water main in the road, check to see if the stream stops, if it does, time to start digging, better safe than sorry with a big bill for water wasted/

turn off your water main in the road, check to see if the stream stops, if it does, time to start digging, better safe than sorry with a big bill for water wasted/

Like it Lame, like it a lot!

I used to have a water feature in my garden for 3-4 days after really heavy rainfall. This was due to a broken storm drain running down the back.

Lame - Thank you for this advice. I will try it first.

Millsy - Thanks to you too. I will mention the Storm drain option to the WB as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water leak in my garden. Advice please? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. I get a slight leak of water in the bowl. Any advice re the attached please. Thank you in advance
Replies
Views
D
2 of my properties tenants have notified me that their boilers are leaking yellow water, i need someone ASAP since that Rubbish is disgusting and i...
Replies
Views
Dany Michael
D
Hi All After having pooling water on my drive, I dug down around to find: Black pipe poly/plastic dug 450mm deep spraying water at mains...
Replies
Views
Morning everyone, if anyone could please offer advice on this issue it would help me with a massive issue regarding the water supply in my flat...
Replies
Views
hi all, i need help to fix the leak from a pipe connected to the water pump via flexi pipe and it is feed from the immersion heater. I have...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock