Search the forum,

Discuss stopcock issue advise please in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Morning everyone, if anyone could please offer advice on this issue it would help me with a massive issue regarding the water supply in my flat.
My flat kitchen and bathroom was always on mains supply (no tank supply at all) and the rest of the 5 flats were mains supply to kitchen and water tank to the bathroom. Since the water tanks (3 in total) were disconnected and everyone is now fed off the mains supply I noticed something with the stopcock in my kitchen.

Question:
Before the stopcock would only turn off the cold water supply in my kitchen but now it turns off the hot and cold water in my kitchen?
Could anyone please tell me why this has happened as no work was carried out in my kitchen, what would cause it to turn off the hot water supply now where as in the past it didn't?

Thank you and no work was carried out in kitchens only in the attic where the pipes go into and the water tanks were.

You have a combi boiler ? If so no hot water when cold turned of. But even if you had a hot water tank eventually you would have no hot water with stopcock off

That's what I am puzzled by. I have a combi boiler and was never connected to the water tanks just to mains supply and the kitchen stopcock never turned off the hot water but now it does, so it's a mystery to what and why does it turn off the hot water now ever since everyone was connected to mains supply.
What could been changed that this has happened.

Maybe your flat was actually on a tank supply for longer that you thought, despite what you were told, and was changed over to mains supply at the same time as all the others?

I wish that was true, but the previous owners had it switched to mains supply in 2016.
The workers who disconnected the rest of flats also told me that they didn't touch my pipe supply as I wasn't connected to the water tanks at all.
This is what's baffling me to why the stopcock now turns off the hot water, what could it possibly be??

This is what's baffling me to why the stopcock now turns off the hot water, what could it possibly be??
Well your stopcock is now behaving as one would expect for a mains supplied system.
I can't account for why it was behaving differently before - I seem to remember you asking about this in a previous post some while ago.

Thanks for the replies. I am just trying to understand what the workies would have done to the piping in the attic that now my stopcock turns the hot water off from my kitchen where as before I could only turn off the hot water by turning the isolation valve on the gas combi boiler.
My pipework wasn't touched at all as it was always on the mains supply but my neighbours are now all on mains supply too and disconnected from the water tanks.

Reply to stopcock issue advise please in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock