Discuss Water in two toilets turning brown - Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nigel

Hi all,

We have two toilets upstairs one in bathroom and one in adjacent ensuite - they are about 3 m apart and both empty into same horizontal soil pipe - the down stream toilet is about half metre from stack where shared soil pipe discharges

Water in toilet pans turns brown even when not being used - is it sludge in soil pipe seeping back in as there is no fall - both loos are on same floor level

Is it OK under building regs to fit loos like this? House was built 10 years ago by big builder

Any thoughts gratefully received - Thanks all N

In the situation you are describing, water will be back-flowing to WC due to no fall or (worse) a rise from the WC. Sadly in newer houses it's fairly common to see this. People fitting paid peanuts by the builders and having to rush the work to make any money.

2 WCs on the same horizontal branch is fine as long as falls are correct. Current regulations allow up to 8 WCs to be connected on one branch pipe. The correct fall is 18-90mm per metre so a fairly substantial fall is required.

Last edited:
The only time I have seen water turning the pans dirty & brown was from a rain water harvest system!

I've seen it before but the toilets were back to back and one of them was plumbed up with the branch pipe running uphill from the toilet.

Found out the hard way when I removed the toilet from the wall. As it was a back to wall toilet I couldn't really see the slight slope until I removed it..

Wasn't one of my nicer days in the job that one!

Try some of this
dom.jpg

Highly unlikely to be drainage related but get a pro in for an on the job opinion. Might cost a bit more than the domestos tho :smile:

All to common in the bash it and crash it days we live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water in two toilets turning brown - Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock