Discuss Water Hammer & Bathroom fittings squealing when toilet is flushed in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I've been experiencing water hammer within the house for a couple of months now, which rattles the pipes whenever turning off a tap or an appliance cuts off its supply. I have turned the stop tap off while turning on all taps allowing the system to aerate which fixes the issue for a day or so before it returns.
I have also noted that when the hammer occurs an additional issue rears its head: The toilet system will have a constant overflow of water (a bare trickle) and when I flush the toilet the sink & shower head will begin to squeek and sometimes water is pushed out through the shower head. The process of how to reproduce the issue is as follows:

Toilet flush > Turn on bathroom sink which will then squeek > this will then have a large squeek from the shower head and water will be pushed out of the shower head. See attached video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhWLLbE6lqw

Cheers in advance

Update: forgot to mention, previously suggested that it could be the inlet valve. I reduced the input as well as attempted to clean out any grit within the cistern but this doesnt seem to have solved the problem.
Unsure if this has any relevance, I added a dishwasher to the kitchen when we moved in and attached this to the only available water pipe which was hot. Could this effect the system as a whole?
With regards to the water hammer, the shock can be heard travelling upstairs to the boiler. Is this all a pressure thing?

ta

Last edited:
Sounds like it’s your inlet valve, especially with it overflowing. Renew washer internally or renew inlet valve. The water coming from shower head might be a failed on/off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Water Hammer & Bathroom fittings squealing when toilet is flushed in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back