Search the forum,

Discuss Water company's obligations regarding external stopcocks in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jock Spanners

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Evening all,

Can anyone tell me definitively what the law is about external stop cocks? I have a customer with a cold water main made of steel which runs under her drive and then under a road. The stopcock is 20 metres from her boundary. The main is leaking under the drive but I've managed to put a temporary connection onto it. Yorkshire Water have told her they're only responsible up to the stopcock. I thought that stopcocks had to be at /or near a property's boundary - not twenty meters away across a road. The whole main needs replacing. Do they expect me to dig up the road? What if it was a motorway? She's been fobbed off now for three weeks. They've been so useless I'm considering a complaint to Offwat. Any advice appreciated.

Jock

Had the same argument with my local only up to the boundary yours after

What's the road ??

It' a B road. I think I'll speak to the guy at Water Safe before taking it further.

You're right JC. Unfortunately it's a little old lady who's now going to get a bill for 30 metres of moling plus connections.

dont know if you could but could you claim on your home insurance ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water company's obligations regarding external stopcocks in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi! Our main stopcock is weeping. I phoned the water company, first-person thought it was their problem as it was on the 'outside' of the water meter. Then another person called me to schedule a visit and they told me that its not their problem as both the water meter and the leaky stopcock are...
Replies
Views
I have a seemingly impossible problem. I am not a plumber but I can at least understand some of it. We have just had the Water Board inspector here and even he went away flummoxed. OK ....we have a stopcock under the sink that is stuck open - no amount of force will turn it. We need to turn...
Replies
Views
Hello all Anyone experience of the following situation and can advise please before I contact the local water company? Commercial (retail) property. Reduced water pressure. Upon investigation, believe our external stopcock, which is located within our boundary, is leaking as the chamber is...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Stopcock in kitchen wall panel turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Red gate valve in airing cupboard next to bathroom turns off...
Replies
Views
HI, Closing the internal house Stopcock located under the sink eventually stops water flowing from the kitchen tap or washing machine hose when these are left open. However, if the tap/ hose is closed, with the stopcock still isolated and left for several minutes then there is another stream...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock