Search the forum,

Discuss Strange water supply problem in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a seemingly impossible problem. I am not a plumber but I can at least understand some of it. We have just had the Water Board inspector here and even he went away flummoxed.

OK ....we have a stopcock under the sink that is stuck open - no amount of force will turn it. We need to turn off the water so that we can change the kitchen taps because they are leaking. We therfore need to stop the water to the house by turning off the external stopcock in the main road British Gas will change the internal stopcock for us but they say that the that the external stopcock is the responsibility of Welsh Water.

When they tried to turn off the water by turning the stopcock in the road, it would not turn off the water to the house so they diagnosed that the external stopcock was also faulty. TBF, they dug up the road and installed a new external stopcock. When the inspector came to check the job today and turned the water off, it did reduce the wayer pressure because no water was reaching the upstairs taps but although the water to the downstairs tap was reduced there was still a significant flow of water through it?! So we still can`t get the internal stopcock changed!

Can anyone tell me what is going on here? The mains water feed is through the back gardens of two neighbouring properties. As far as I know it goes from the road into next doors back garden and from their garden under our patio to the kitchen sink. They had a conservatory built about 2 yrs ago and Anglian did something with the plumbing then. I have no idea where the water to my kitchen tap is coming from when the mains is shut off?Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks

One workaround to your problem would to freeze the incoming supply and replace the internal stopcock or add a new one in series with it.

For a 'root cause' fix you'll need to do some sleuthing. E.g.

How long do you wait (how many litres run off) while the external stopcock is closed and tap is running under 'reduced pressure'? Does it eventually slow down and stop?

Do you have an accumulator and/or an unvented hot water cylinder, i.e. fed by mains pressure water rather than a cold water tank in the roof? If you have a tank in the roof, then turning the stopcock off won't affect the taps fed from the tank. If you have unvented hot water the non-return valve may be passing.

Have you asked your neighbour to see if their water meter turns when you turn off your supply and run your kitchen tap?

Does your meter turn when your neighbour uses water?

Last edited:
I'm surprised W-Water gave up so easily, unless they intend to return and trace the pipework.

There's a few possibles,

There is a second supply joined on after the (new) street stop tap, maybe done accidentally when next door had the conservatory done.

Or it may have been / still is a common supply to other properties and has a large volume to clear before it stops, something Chuck is thinking of.

It could be the new stop tap feeds upstairs only and there's a second supply partially turned off somewhere for downstairs.

How old and what sort of property is it.?
Was it built on land originally owned by one or both of the neighbouring properties?

Rows of terraces used to have a single supply from the street, as it would have been cheaper, with a branch into the outside toilet and a separate branch into the kitchen.

If your incoming main is mdpe, a squeeze off tool could be used, or as per @Chuck it could be frozen if possible. You can’t install one in series because you can’t isolate it coming in. It would need to be traced as mentioned.

have you had a plumber have a go with the internal stopcock?? The amount I have been to and I have undone the gland and got them going again is in the 100’s.
Other than what is mentioned above you could install an Aladdin valve on the live pipe work…
Other options are to have a run of pipe with an isolator on to outside, use speedfit pipe … cut the pipe live and install quickly.. most of the water will go outside… a wet vac is a good tool. it all depends how much of a priority the job is to you…

Reply to Strange water supply problem in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes a squeak noise as I turn it on or off, left tap is 100% perfect and noiseless. This grohe tap is like one unit, so no screw notch or way I can remove...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock