Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Washer jammed - advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

13Black

Hi, would appreciate some advice.

I had a worn washer on the hot water tap, which was leaking slowly.

I removed the tap body and took it to the plumbing shop as I didnt have right size rubber washer. The guy fitted a new washer for me.

I put the whole thing together again and it was fine for a couple of hours and then no hot water. I took the tap body out and realise that the washer has come out from under the screw that it is supposed to sit into the tap body and is now jammed in the interior of the handle body.

I can see the rubber valve jammed in place and have tried to wedge it out but it is fairly firmly lodged. Any tips on how to get it out?

Apologies if I have got the terms wrong when describing. I just need to know how to get a washer stuck out. Is it a case of getting a sharp knife and working away on it until breaks and prying it out or is there an easier technique.

I think I have learned the hard way that you need to use the right washer. When the guy fitted it, was not flush in terms of its depth. I have taken the tap body out of the cold tap and realised the difference.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Often just have to butcher it out with a slotted screwdriver.
Sometimes just pushing the slotted blade into the washer hole will let you pry it out.
A pair of long nose pliers are great for reaching the washer.
Perhaps you have used a 1/2" washer on it instead of a 3/8" ?

Last edited:
Thanks Subby. I triedthat but the sucker is lodged in tight. It wont budge, hence the thread

Thanks for the reply Best. He said it was 3/8 but as I said it didnt fit flush under the screw ie. it wasnt flush with the "casing" it sits in.

Thanks Subby. I triedthat but the sucker is lodged in tight. It wont budge, hence the thread

Then looks like you will need a hammer & sharp slotted screwdriver to cut it in 3 or more bits!

Then looks like you will need a hammer & sharp slotted screwdriver to cut it in 3 or more bits!

Brut force. I can do that! Will give it a go tomorrow.

Sorry if this is a daft question but do different taps have different depth washers? When I've done this before, the washer hasnt needed to sit within a cashing. it simply slotted over a spindle.

Depth of washer usually not too important, but width (diameter) can cause them to spread too much & jam.
You might have to look around for exact size washers

Depth of washer usually not too important, but width (diameter) can cause them to spread too much & jam.
You might have to look around for exact size washers

is it a daft idea to take the washer out of the cold tap (which is working fine) to see exactly what I need? i cant tell as the one in the hot tap had split and hardly anything was left

So many different types of tap. . . I bought a set of gasket removal tools (Car engine jobie) In it was a bent hook thingummybob which is invalable in such situations. This is similar. 9PC SCRAPER HOOK & PICK GASKET SCRAPING HOSE REMOVAL TOOL SET CHROME VANADIUM | eBay They are also ace for removing kickboards under kitchen unit, lifting fitted carpet corners, picking 'o' rings out of shower bodies &c &c.

Thanks Terry. If brut force with a flathead or a stanley knife dont work, this will be plan B. The bent hook think looks good.

That's a sensible idea to try to copy the cold washer which is still as new.
Terry the piper has made a very good point of using one of those O ring hooks if you can find one.

I use a cheap dental hook thingy cost a quid from the quid shop and had a dental mirror and a cheap toothbrush in the pack

After you have got the jammed one out, put the new washer on the jumper and trim it down to fit (use rigger gloves to protect your fingers!)

Hi, would appreciate some advice.

I had a worn washer on the hot water tap, which was leaking slowly.

I removed the tap body and took it to the plumbing shop as I didnt have right size rubber washer. The guy fitted a new washer for me.

I put the whole thing together again and it was fine for a couple of hours and then no hot water. I took the tap body out and realise that the washer has come out from under the screw that it is supposed to sit into the tap body and is now jammed in the interior of the handle body.

I can see the rubber valve jammed in place and have tried to wedge it out but it is fairly firmly lodged. Any tips on how to get it out?

Apologies if I have got the terms wrong when describing. I just need to know how to get a washer stuck out. Is it a case of getting a sharp knife and working away on it until breaks and prying it out or is there an easier technique.

I think I have learned the hard way that you need to use the right washer. When the guy fitted it, was not flush in terms of its depth. I have taken the tap body out of the cold tap and realised the difference.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Got it out. In the end only took a few mins of force with a flathead screwdriver.

I now need to find the correct washer. The sink is branded Blanco - is life as straightforward as being able to assume that the mixer taps (which have no branding on them) would also be Blanco? If not, how do you find the right flippin washer?

Thanks in advance and appreciate the guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Washer jammed - advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
The left rear floor corner is highest (the shower pan touches/sits on the floor), sloping down diagonally to the front right corner (lowest). The...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock