Discuss Viy in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

secret squirrel

Just a little information for anyone who went to the VIY college and needs there NVQ2 assessments.

I have just spoken to City and Guilds and they have informed me that you have to re-register with a local college so that you can be assessed. C & G do not get involved with the assessments themselves although they issue certificates.

I did ask whether there would be a fee and I was informed that it probably depends where you register as they (C & G) do not control this.

When I explained that this is going to be a nightmare, he (customer advisor) wished me good luck.

So, if anyone else has any positive news regarding this I would be only too happy to hear about it.

I have called a local college that caters for 16 year olds and as I'm the wrong side of 40 I'm not holding my breath. However, I'm waiting to hear back. Will put up another post when I get something

Please only positive comments, I'm not in the mood for the "fast trackers" blah! can't train a plumber in 5 minutes blah! thats what happens when you spend £7k and don't do a 5 year apprenticeship.

Hi! Squirrel,

I have worked as an employed Plumber for years and virtually nowhere did they even ask for qualification just your track record of jobs done. And once your in the loop its easy.

I think today they emphasis qualification far to much and not enough on "can you do" its probably all the Plumbing training course selling that is going on. Its getting so that people feel they aren't a Plumber without a shed load of qualifications.

The reality that I knew after many years in the game is that most companies did not even mind if you had been a Plumber for 5 minutes or 50 years, so long as you could do the work for them.

Its still the same I think, most of them want to be able to register you with GaSafe though and that usually means ACS or on the job inspections. Unvented is nice to have as well.

But I would not worry to much about what people say just so long as you can do the job.

its not the bits of paper that make you a plumber its experience

H! Squirrel!

Another way to look at Plumbing is:

How many times do you go to a doctor and ask to see his or her qualifications?

What you probably do, is moan if they can't put your problem right. They are no good or you at least doubt how good they really are, if they can't fix it, but they are great if they can.

Their reputation is based on what they do, and usually, nobody asks anybody about qualifications only perhaps other health workers.

But then its the patient who should take precedent not other health workers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Viy in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock