Discuss Vertical Radiator not getting hot enough in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dlukeg

I've recently fit a new vertical radiator and I'm having problems with it.

When most of the radiators are on in the house the new vertical one doesn't get anywhere near as hot as it should and is noticeably warmer at the top than the bottom.

When I turn off all radiators except the vertical one.. it gets incredibly hot and works fine.

I don't suppose there is an obvious quick fix for this?

I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks.

Has it been piped correctly? Some of these are very specific that left is flow right is return or vice versa?
Failing that it could just be balancing. If you turn off all other rads does this one get properly hot.

The radiator does get properly hot when all the others are turned off. Does that rule out the possibility that the flow and return are on the wrong way? Thanks for the suggestions.

I would say almost definitely a balancing issue then unless the boiler isn't man enough for the job

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how I get on with the balancing.

Have you fitted it where an existing one already worked ? Or have you added it new to your system ?

As above.
Has this radiator been added to the system?

Microbore ?????!

What's your boiler how many rads

8mm pipe and the boiler is a ravenheat condensing fanned combi CSI 85 B (T) with 8 rads.

I've only just moved in to this house so don't know much about it I'm afraid.

I am no expert - however I have a similar problem.

What type of vertical radiator is it. I have Vertirad (from B&Q). This is made up of vertical tubes that connect to a hz tube at top and bottom. The connection from the vertical tubes to the hz tubes appears to be quite a small hole. I think these can get blocked - even when brand new (welding or coating debris?). We had to flush new radiators and that improved one of them, one is still very poor.

The other thing to be aware of is there is a top and bottom. The bottom pipe should have a baffle in the middle to force water up and then down. If installed upside down it may not work so well.

Balancing has definitely helped make the rad a lot warmer. Still not quite right but probably just needs a bit more balancing. Thanks for all the help.

For AndyTh - The radiator is a Milano Aruba - White Vertical Designer Radiator 1600mm x 354mm (Double Panel) from bestheating. I am assuming everything was fitted correctly as it does get properly hot when it is the only radiator on and now that the system is being balanced it is much much warmer than before.

These style rads do take a lot of heating as they are generally a thicker material than standard rads, rads can take just 5 minutes to be very hot where these can take 20-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vertical Radiator not getting hot enough in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Looking for some advice please. Got a building, all one level with 7 radiators. 3 individual ones in separate rooms then 4 radiators...
Replies
Views
I have just moved into a late 1990s new-build house with a small bore (about 1/2" OD pipes) gas fired boiler central heating system. All the...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your...
Replies
Views
Hi to all, I have bought a new radiator as replacement for old one. After installation by plumber, the new radiator is heating up only to 1/3...
Replies
Views
When I turn on our CH there's a lot of noise from one specific part of the system - the pipes on the landing, and one radiator. It sounds like...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock