Search the forum,

Discuss Van dilemma! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen,
After several months in transition from aircraft mechanic, through a City & Guilds Tech Cert 2 in plumbing to my present position, I have been using my trusty C-max.

Things have changed, though and now I need a van if I'm to have any credibility at all. I'm sick of loading and unloading all the tools and equipment, taking the seats in and out....

So..... what van would you recommend for a jobbing plumber?
I was thinking of somethng mid-sized that I can garage. Central locking, side door (?) roof rack...... that sorta thing.
Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Terryh

whatever you do don't end up with a rust infested dirty white van, they are ten a penny and look rubbish.
Do what I did and get a decent ex-post office Vauxhall Combo and get it properly sign written in white and blue, Rhino Bars and pipe tube from Demarvan and your sorted.

Cheers, Phil,
I think you are right. Peopledeserve more than a grubby rust bucket pulling up outside their houses...... and first impressions are very important.
Thanks... by the way, how did you buy your van.... is there a web-site for old PO vans?
Thanks again.

There's no website that I know of, but I got mine (2005 1.3 turbo diesel) earlier this year for £3,700 with 25,000 miles. They are over £10,000 brand new so let some other mug pay the depreciation, I had to buy a new front bumper, wheelarch trims, hub caps and give it a good T-cut, change the oil etc, now it looks and drives brand new.

Thanks again, Phil.I'll pick up some of the Auto-trader types of magazine and see what they have to offer.
As you say a few simple bolt on bits, some oil and off you go.
Terryh

im using my bmw touring estate. nice car gonna get a merc vito traveliner with vinyl wrapping.

I used to have a Mercedes Vito, good to drive but do you really need something that big?, I was always bumping and scraping it.

I think you'll always fill what you have....parts alone to save trips to merchants can take up serious space...I drive a transit and like the fact you can use it a bit like a mobile workshop with the space available inside, had a connect previously and it could get a little too cramped..

have to agree with fizzput, you'll always fill it up

if you do as i do specilize in drainage and 24 hour call outs you need the stock to cover a wide range of jobs.
in the end i moved my drainage side into another van.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking along the lines of a Peugeot Expert/Fiat Scudo size. I know if I went for something as large as the Vito I would just fill it with junk and never find what I wanted. So I guess a mis sized van will be adequtae.
Also it depends on the sort of work you prefer as to the tools you need, horses for courses.
TH

Have to sell the c-max first. The garage offered £5.2k p/ex :eek: Taking the p@@@

There isnt a van made imo that beats the VW Transporter, built like a tank , reliable, economic, and a pleasure to drive.

I always say to anyone I know, if they pull up in an estate car, pretend you aint in !

Ask yourself what you would think if someone came to do a job of plumbing in your house in one, before you made that career change ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Van dilemma! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock