Discuss Vaillant boiler vibrating cold start in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Vaillant ecomax 18e boiler noise at cold start.

Replaced heat exchanger with reconditioned unit and new flue collector as kettling was getting problematic. Works fine except vibrating for around 10 seconds on cold start. Didn't do it before. Any ideas?

Are you the homeowner?

Get the gas engineer to loosen the case mounting hex bolts 1/2 a turn

He should of checked it

I suspect the bolts are tight vaillant did a tb a few years ago saying you need to loosen then and install copper grease due to problems with noise I’m guess as it was second hand it didn’t come with this information

Heat exchanger mounting bolts

Unable to track down the tb but have had a response from vaillant. The grease is to stop creaking and clicking noise which isn't the problem but the spec for tightening the nuts is only 6nm which I guess he overtightened with the water pump pliers he used. I noticed he also didn't replace the nuts with the new ones supplied with the flue collector. Not sure if that's important enough to get him to change when he loosens them.

Many thanks for your help. I'll post the outcome.

Unable to track down the tb but have had a response from vaillant. The grease is to stop creaking and clicking noise which isn't the problem but the spec for tightening the nuts is only 6nm which I guess he overtightened with the water pump pliers he used. I noticed he also didn't replace the nuts with the new ones supplied with the flue collector. Not sure if that's important enough to get him to change when he loosens them.

Many thanks for your help. I'll post the outcome.
Boiler now much quieter. Plumber loosened heat exchanger clamps slightly which helped but richening the gas mixture from 8.1% to the specified 9.1% seems to have resolved it many thanks to shauncorbs for his advice

Reply to Vaillant boiler vibrating cold start in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I wonder if anyone can offer any advice/solutions... I have a boiler, a Valient EcoTec 28 pro, which was fitted a year ago. It makes a droning...
Replies
Views
Recently over the past 2 months, the boiler or area by the water tank has started making a loud groaning noise whenever hot water has been running...
Replies
Views
A bit of history first. 2 yrs ago visited a grant boiler with boiler and pipework kettling. I added SentX200 noise reducer. It is standard open...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise...
Replies
Views
We have a Vaillant Ecotec 415 system boiler, about 11 years old. It has been serviced annually (most recently in Sept 2021) and we've had a couple...
Replies
Views
Back