Discuss Using a USA trap on a UK sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Whatever the solution it will still have to emptied but its not me that does the emptying so I have to consider who will be doing the job.

I have no issues with profit, I am happy to pay $88 to the retailer which give them their profit plus £30 for rubber connectors which gives their retailer their profit and have a reasonable solution that works.

If demand was the only criteria then PPI wouldn't be a dirty word because based on this thread any level of profit is acceptable.

Not being someone that works in the plumbing trade I am not aware of exactly how different the US and UK standards are and what my options are for connecting mismatched items. Clearly this is appears to be a horribly complex thing to do, despite Australian companies selling solutions for under $10, and that I should thank my luck that a company only charges £150 for a solutions.

So if you don't work in the plumbing trade how about leaving the nitty gritty to somebody who is?

Ever heard of overheads?

I could go on but it's wasted.

So if you don't work in the plumbing trade how about leaving the nitty gritty to somebody who is?

Ever heard of overheads?

I could go on but it's wasted.

I am paying a plumber to do the fixing... but he too hasnt dealt with USA standards and so didnt have a solution hence coming here to ask others.

Now if someone has a cost effective solution and wants to deliver it to the SE14 area then I am happy to receive a quote but that normally goes outside of the rules for forums and using them purely as an mechanism to score business rather than share knowledge

I don't intend to come across as snarky but being a self employed professional that gives away their advice for free on other forums its a tad frustrating that instead of finding a forum of professionals that are willing to help someone find a cost effective solution to their issue the recommendation is simply buy the most expensive option out there or build from scratch yourself rather than any middle ground or comment that actually rubber connectors are a non-starter or that you can actually bond the pipes or rethread them or such.

The build it yourself solution you were given is simple, robust and can be built for well under £30. But instead of being open minded you dismissed it out of hand. Maybe listen to the advice of the professionals you're consulting?

I did wonder about just using rubber connectors as I believe the outer diameter is almost the same and its the threading thats the issue and then just support the thing from underneath as the sink has a shelf and the larger bottles are recommended to be supported anyway by the UK distributor

To quote a well now phrase..........
Just Do It.

Last edited:
You tried USA Plumbers forum?

Not yet, past experience has said that the UK are better dealing with the USA than the other way around. I did speak to a US official stockist of the product whos words, if the curse words are removed, was roughly "what a rip off, sorry, dont know about UK plumbing"

The build it yourself solution you were given is simple, robust and can be built for well under £30. But instead of being open minded you dismissed it out of hand. Maybe listen to the advice of the professionals you're consulting?

I fully accept there are robust self build solutions for under £30 and if it was for me then I would take the advice and do it but its not for me. She who must be obeyed gets stressed enough that in the UK there is more than one type of white sugar and flour when she wants to bake a cake let alone dealing with multiple pipes and containers to detach when emptying the sediment collector let alone the risk of overflow etc by it not all being sealed or visible.

A clear plastic bottle where the current level of sediment can easily be seen that simply screws and unscrews is a nice solution. I had hoped that based on this solution someone could tell me how to connect USA 1.5" pipes with nuts at both ends could connect to UK 1.5" piping with a screw thread on one end (sink) and yet to be laid (so flexible) at the other end....

I only have vague awareness to the options of threaded, compression, bonded, rubber interconnects etc

I fully accept there are robust self build solutions for under £30 and if it was for me then I would take the advice and do it but its not for me. She who must be obeyed gets stressed enough that in the UK there is more than one type of white sugar and flour when she wants to bake a cake let alone dealing with multiple pipes and containers to detach when emptying the sediment collector let alone the risk of overflow etc by it not all being sealed or visible.

A clear plastic bottle where the current level of sediment can easily be seen that simply screws and unscrews is a nice solution. I had hoped that based on this solution someone could tell me how to connect USA 1.5" pipes with nuts at both ends could connect to UK 1.5" piping with a screw thread on one end (sink) and yet to be laid (so flexible) at the other end....

I only have vague awareness to the options of threaded, compression, bonded, rubber interconnects etc

The suggested solution would remain permanently fixed. Only one cap would need to be unscrewed to empty the collected clay.

Reply to Using a USA trap on a UK sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back