Discuss Urgent Central Heating System Pressure Problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening everyone,
New to the forum, hopefully someone can help with a problem which has just developed with our central heating system.

We have a sealed / pressurised system which has been working pretty much perfectly for many years. Aside from needing to increase the pressure a couple of times a year from say 1bar upto 1.5bar, nothing else has needed attention.

This evening I came home to find our kitchen ceiling looking damp, so a quick run up the stairs to the airing cupboard revealed some issues. The CH pressure gauge was reading 3.4bar, and therefore the PRV had opened and was releasing water down the drainage pipe via the tundish. Unforutnately the tundish didnt line up very well with the pipework and so most of the water was on the floor, and subsequently on the kitchen ceiling.

First thing for me to confirm is that my filling loop is NOT connected!

My next thought was to try and reduce the CH pressure by bleeding some radiators and letting some water out. This had no effect on the pressure.

Next i turned off the cold water supply to the house to see what effect this had. Nothing immediately. I then ran a hot tap, and noticed the pressure on the CH gauge beginning to drop. However as soon as i turn the cold water mains supply on again, the pressure shoots back up to 3+ bar.

I've turned the boiler off of course whilst all this is going on, however obviously this means no heating and no hot water, so i'm desperate for your help!! :confused5::confused5:

Hope someone can reply soon.
Many thanks,
Nigel

The water is the least of your worries. You will need a g3 engineer (unvented cylinder) to have a look. Kill the mains cold to the cylinder. Should be able to run your heating as a very short term stop gap.

Wouldnt mind seeing the rest of the cylinder.

photo4.JPG

3 port on an unvented, your missing some essential safety features, as Mr Cropp states, get someone in to sort out that set up asap.

Whilst I don't understand the issues, that sounds worrying. This setup is as new when the house was built 12 years ago.... i'm surprised that something would be incorrect?

Thank you for any input :)

You've got a fairly important safety valve missing that would cut off the primary flow in the event of the cylinder temperature overshooting its setpoint.

There's other issues but that's the main one.

if it is a split coil, which it may not be then you need at least 2 other bits replace/installed urgently to make things work safely again, which are manufacturers parts. These need installing by a qualified (G3 regulated) plumber. If the coil is split then a new cyl is needed anyhow and the completed cyl inc safety devices will be installed by the plumber. Because of the risks involved in doing it wrong, this site wont offer the actual answers as folk may be tempted to give it a go themselves with poor results.

Not wishing to scare you, but this is the result of all the safety devices failing on an unvented cyl, yours is missing one of them out of the 3 normally installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61uDmQF5I2E

your cyl should not do this,but it needs some safety device fitting as if your other 2 failed that video is a reality should things go wrong. Hence why our advice isnt forth coming and why you should get someone in to rectify the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Urgent Central Heating System Pressure Problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back