Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss uPVC pipe leak - is there an easy fix? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Morning

Noticed a brown patch in the ceiling.. lovely.
Poked finger through and it was wet ie active leak.
Have cut away plasterboard and can see uPVC pipe with a gentle drip. From what I can tell this pipe is the combi boiler condensate to waste pipe.
Problem is in its an extremely difficult position to reach, above a pair of RSJs that I can barely fit a hand through.

Is there a recommended tape/sealant that although not ideal, would do the trick?
20211102_102445.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Starting to think why it's randomly started... Got me wondering if heat exchanger gone on combi. Have turned boiler off and it's still dripping after an hour or boiler being off. I'm no expert but I believe that's a sign it could be a boiler issue?

That said, even if HX fault, doesn't stop the fact that the pipe work should be sound. Most likely I have 2 issues

Depends how much it’s been condensing, and if there’s a decent fall on the pipe, or even a backfall. Have replaced/repaired literally loads of these, sometimes they fail if the pipe hasn’t been prepared correctly, cleaned, or solvent weld all the way around the joint.

For idea of route, pic below of pipe leaving combi, it then goes straight down to floor level and out in ceiling void below as original pic.

20211102_123544.jpg

Separately....

After turning boiler off this pipework on UFH manifold has decided to start leaking now. I've turned boiler back on and hopefully stops but no idea what could trigger that nor what that Flexi pipe actually achieves

20211102_131815.jpg

Flexi pipes like that are generally for topping up system pressure/initial filling/additional filling.
Got ya. Any reason it would start dripping when boiler off? Boiler been back on a while now and still going, seems a tight fitting too so can't see where leak is other than fitting itself.

Additionally.. have take up part of floor above to get access to original issue, looks like the pvc wipe is warped, could heat have done that?
20211102_142122.jpg

That looks like overflow pipe used for condensate and has been melted by the plumber when soldering that elbow been like that for a long time by the looks of it
Of course, now that you say that it makes a lot of sense... I knew this house was put together by cowboys but cowboys with flamethrowers is taking the P! That drip is very slow so will head off to get some 15mm pipe tomorrow and replace as much as I can.

With regards to Flexi to UFH manifold, I'm stumped. Both black levers in off position and still dripping quite heavily (1 litre an hour). Have even turned the isolation valve on lower connector and still dripping. I'm guessing the plumbers tape has come loose/not fitted properly but I can't see a way to take it off without water gushing. No obvious isolation.

Frustratingly I live in an area with not enough plumbers for people, been on waiting list 3 months to get other jobs done 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Reply to uPVC pipe leak - is there an easy fix? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Excuse the length but this seems like a complicated fix. I lived in a 1930s block of flats. Brick building with concrete slab floors...
Replies
Views
Hello All I need to change a leaking pipe and seal to a toilet bowl, it has been quietly dripping soaking the floor tiles and carpet . It has...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am completely new to HIUs and I need some advice with regards to the best course of action. The three way valve / proportional...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am new here and I need some help with a home repair. I have this pipe located in my basement inside my wall made of concrete that is showing...
Replies
Views
Hello, Can anybody please advise. For months now our old Ideal Mini HE C24 (combi boiler) has had pressure problems. It won't stay above 1 bar...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock