Discuss Leaking toilet - how to change connection pipe in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello All

I need to change a leaking pipe and seal to a toilet bowl, it has been quietly dripping soaking the floor tiles and carpet . It has heavily limescaled up.
Do you think the screw fix part will fit by any chance and what do you think is the best sealant?
Thanks a lot for your help and tips

Betty

Attachments

• Loo 1.jpg
    Loo 1.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Loo2..jpg
    Loo2..jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Replacement part.jpg
    Replacement part.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 22
The following assumes it is leaking where the horizontal part of the white flush pipe meets the back of the bowl.
1. The pipe is sealed into the spigot on the back of the bowl by a flush pipe cone. These can become hard with time and fail to seal properly.
2. They come in two types, plastic and rubber. Both types have fins around the outside of the body, and it is these fins flexing and pushing against the inside of the spigot which forms the seal.
3. In my opinion, the plastic ones are useless because there is not enough flex in the fins. The rubber ones are fine. This link shows what I mean Internal White Rubber Flush Pipe Cone - 08000681 - https://www.plumbers-mate-sales.co.uk/internal-white-rubber-flush-pipe-cone---08000681-2193-p.asp
4. Its unlikely you need all the pipework in the Screwfix example you have shown, and in any case fitting it would require disturbing the joint at the cistern.
5. I would suggest you get the flush cone noted above or something similar. Then:
5a. Turn off the water supply to the cistern. Not essential if its a syphon operated one, which it probably is.
5b. Flush the WC.
5c. Pull the white pipe out of the back of the bowl. There is likely to be a small amount of water, so old towels.
5d. Thoroughly clean and descale the inside of the spigot and the outside of the pipe.
5e. Slip the new flush cone over the pipe, with the narrow end of the cone level with the open end of the pipe. Mark on the pipe where the other end of the flush cone comes to, another mark 12 to 15 mm behind the first, then push the cone so that its back (wider end) coincides with the second mark.
5f. Push the cone and pipe together into the spigot. Make sure the back of the cone is somewhere between the two marks.
5g. Turn the water back on, allow the cistern to refill and test.
5h. If it still weeps, remove again, put Plumber's Mait into the first two fins and try again.
5i. If still no good, remove again, smear some clear silicone over the pipe and try again, but wait 24 hours before flushing.
6. You might find that removing the old cone, and cleaning it as well as the spigot and pipe, then refitting with Plumber's Mait and possibly silicone as described above will fix it.

Thank you very much Steadyon and WC1

This is what Plumbase sold me , I think it might be a plastic one ?? 😟

Attachments

• Flush cone 1.jpg
    Flush cone 1.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 11
  • image1 (5).jpeg
    image1 (5).jpeg
    485.6 KB · Views: 9
  • seal 1.jpg
    seal 1.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1806 (1).jpg
    IMG_1806 (1).jpg
    572.2 KB · Views: 14
That’s fine you don’t need the lsx tho

Reply to Leaking toilet - how to change connection pipe in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Relatively inexperienced homeowner here. Apologies in advance if I get any terminology wrong. Today I noticed some limescale accumulation...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Noob here. Moved house and there is a leak with our upstairs Toilet. It looks to be coming from the pipe which goes in the base of...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone. I am solo tenant living in a flat. The bathroom is a horror show. Black mould on tiles. Water has previously come in from the...
Replies
Views
I have a towel rail style radiator in the bathroom with straight through taps. I have noticed tonight one of the valves has started dripping. I...
Replies
Views
Back