Search the forum,

Discuss How to change leaking valve when other radiator valve stuck open in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a towel rail style radiator in the bathroom with straight through taps.

I have noticed tonight one of the valves has started dripping. I can sort some new valves but the other valve that isn't leaking appears to be stuck open.

How do I best drain the radiator to change the valves given I cant actually turn one of them off.

Left valve leaking. Right valve stuck open.

Attachments

• 16440074802748043641429286059299.jpg
    16440074802748043641429286059299.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 1644007527566886184879783799588.jpg
    1644007527566886184879783799588.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 10
Even if both valves worked. You then need to disconnect/drain/potentially remove rail.

Now you are left with a dripping valve which is still holding back the heating system pressure.

You can’t just take it off. You would either need to drain the system or dump the pressure and quickly pull off the old and slam on the new. If you’re not experienced, this option could result in a lot of water.

Because you have a stuck valve, you can’t isolate the rail to dump the water.

So either drain down and change both.

Or dump the pressure and air lock it. Or undo rail on one side and if there’s a bit of play in the pipe, pull the valve out of the way and get someone else to stop the rail dumping it’s water with the palm of their hand.

All this also depends on if the system is pressurised or open vent. If open vent you also need to isolate the feed and expansion.

From the information you’ve provided, it’s safer to drain down.

Out of interest, where is the valve leaking? Handle stem? Could just replace packing.

Even if both valves worked. You then need to disconnect/drain/potentially remove rail.

Now you are left with a dripping valve which is still holding back the heating system pressure.

You can’t just take it off. You would either need to drain the system or dump the pressure and quickly pull off the old and slam on the new. If you’re not experienced, this option could result in a lot of water.

Because you have a stuck valve, you can’t isolate the rail to dump the water.

So either drain down and change both.

Or dump the pressure and air lock it. Or undo rail on one side and if there’s a bit of play in the pipe, pull the valve out of the way and get someone else to stop the rail dumping it’s water with the palm of their hand.

All this also depends on if the system is pressurised or open vent. If open vent you also need to isolate the feed and expansion.

From the information you’ve provided, it’s safer to drain down.

Out of interest, where is the valve leaking? Handle stem? Could just replace packing.
It's actually leaking from the centre tap, I imagine through the worm screw. Its not the threads that are leaking. Based on your feedback I think asking a pro to sort may be the option. I change radiators for fun normally but this seems to be an accident waiting to happen. Don't want to make a bigger mess

is it stuck open or are you turning it the right way if leak is from the middle then the gland just needs packing with ptfe and tightening up. these type of valves don't like to be opened and closed all the time best to leave alone.

is it stuck open or are you turning it the right way if leak is from the middle then the gland just needs packing with ptfe and tightening up. these type of valves don't like to be opened and closed all the time best to leave alone.
It's been left well alone by me. It appears to have attracted the attention of my 3yr old.
Drips far far slower when uts open, so I'm currently living with it like that.

The other is 100% stuck open. I'm nervous of encouraging it too much and making the situation worse

Reply to How to change leaking valve when other radiator valve stuck open in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I have just looked back through the regs this seems to have changed and it isn't mentioned now. It now mentions if at high level it should be discharged...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock