Currently reading:
USA Unvented cylinder - water pressure

Discuss Unvented cylinder - water pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, looking for advice about unvented cylinder. I had one installed as part of a horrific modular loft conversion that was recently finished. The water pressure in the bathrooms is poor, probably worse than when just had combi and I cant use two showers/bathrooms at one time which was the point in having it installed. When first installed it seemed good but then there was a leak in the system. Leak was fixed but pressure now poor. The tested cold incoming measures at 22 lpm and 3 bar but when i check this in bathrooms its less than 8lpm. The plumber is refusing to return as loft company arent paying him(think theyre going under) and his only advice is that the incoming supply is the issue. Im not convinced though due to rate during test and i've recently tested outside tap and its 3 times quicker than inside. The new shower in loft occassionally has fluntuating pressure that you can see by eye. Does anyone have any advice?

Indeed.

Im still potentially in a position where it gets replaced and still have two bathrooms which dont work simultaniously. The pressure was better when 1st floor shower was straight from combi. Is this because it was 15mm all the way to shower rather than 15mm into 22mm?

Loft was a joke. Ive had to have independent roofer to fix what they had done. It didnt come tiled like website shows. I was homeless for 9 weeks, instead of 2 weeks discussed, and day before installation building firm didnt understand plans. Only via escalation did engineers come and resolve it. It still took 12 hrs instead of 5 to fit on the day and at one point they gave up and said it wouldnt fit! Since then ivehad to review everything theyve done, review standards and then get them to do it again. They did everything 2 or 3 times before getting right. If i hadnt visited every day i dont know what would have happened. Iknow that there is a criminal case against landmark but dont know details. They have stopped paying builders and said.they wanted customers to pay contractor direct which makes me think they cant have money in their own accounts.

No
Indeed.

Im still potentially in a position where it gets replaced and still have two bathrooms which dont work simultaniously. The pressure was better when 1st floor shower was straight from combi. Is this because it was 15mm all the way to shower rather than 15mm into 22mm?
combi can only produce xx amount of hot water LPM and most are designed with 15mm inlet and outlet. the key with the operation of the an unvented cylinder is both good pressure but as importantly is the flow rate and that is what the larger bore pipework allows. That coupled with the fact that your cylinder is installed wrong I’m not surprised your water for the bathrooms is lacking. By getting the right cylinder in there you should see a dramatic improvement. I would usually recommend that someone upgrades their incoming main for an unvented but I realise you’ve spent a fortune on this already and I get the feeling you won’t get anywhere with the company

lol look like a few feet have fallen through the ceiling

So i have his license number. He has a tick against vented hot water storage but there isnt category for unvented. Does that mean he hasnt got G3 ticket? Is he likely to be worried enough that hes been found out to fix it? I have another local firm quoting on Thursday.

He still might but looking not likely

Update. Local firm came round and i await quote to resolve this. They advised that along with the direction of the cylinder the installer has also put the expansion vessel on the hot side. Plumber will not answer phone and loft company arent doing anything. He advised he wouldnt have put it in this location and pressure will be effected by incoming pipe and isnt sure whether are two rainwater showers will work simultaneously. He has asked us to check the shower requirements and i cant really understand from the website Lusso Luxe Three Way Thermostatic shower set with Handheld shower & Spout matte black | Showers ???

Our outside tap measured at 3 bar and 22lpm

I’d be suggesting you will almost certainly need to enhance your incoming to achieve any of the top end results. Let alone running both showers at the same time. Most cylinders of that size can produce around the 50lpm mark, some more some less, but this is intrinsically linked to the pressure and flow rate leading to the cylinder.

Showers want around 44lpm for both

I don't understand why you haven't contacted your local authorities or who ever is in charge of licensing. It sounds like you paid thousands of pounds for garbage that you were told was correct and it all needs to be taken apart and replaced. I would be livid.

I think the longer you wait to hold these guys accountable the worse it will be for you.

• Indeed, it seems as though i'm powerless. Awaiting quote which is likely to be over the 2k that im holding back. Loft company going under and unable to contact plumber so will follow process in terms of getting quote and formalising to loft company. I will go on a big list of creditors. They owe my builder 46k and probably numerous others so dont expect anything if over 2k. Ive reported to trading standards and will to gas safe but dont expect any help. Dire indeed.

Reply to Unvented cylinder - water pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock