Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented cylinder running out of hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

got a customer who is running out of hot water with there unvented cylinder when showering.

Basically I fitted a new shower mixer replacing old shower mixer for them and piped it onto there unvented cylinder roughly 150l hot n cold pipes. As before the old shower itself (and only this shower nothing else) was supplied via a huge vented tank in the loft, boosted by a shower pump. Sounds silly and it is, as this vented cylinder was heated 24/7 by 4 x huge elements obviously wasting a lot of electric. Now you can see why they wanted away with the old tank in loft as they have an unvented cylinder already in place feeding the rest of the house, including another shower which they don't use, it made sense to pipe onto that and use the hot water instead of heating this massive tank in the loft.

Now I know the lady who lives there likes a long showers and is used to the old tank, but is there any tips I'm missing on using the hot water up quickly?

Obviously I have told them not to shower as long, but what else can I say? Make sure hot water is stored at correct temp?60c? They have the timer on half hour before usage, should it be earlier? Any advice would be appreciative.

cheers

What cylinder is it?

How is it heated? (Immersion/boiler)

What temperature is it at?

How long is it programmed for in total?

What kind of shower is it? (How big is the head?

I can't see it running out unless she is in the for 20-30 minutes or has the water scalding hot! I would say possibly 30 minutes isn't long enough for it to get full up to temperature but depends on the cylinder and how it's heated.

What size is the cylinder?

Are you g3 qualified?

Can you fit flow restrictors in the shower feeds?

It will take more than 30 minutes to heat a tank of cold water. Set temperature to 60 and timer to come on 90 minutes before use. Problem solved.

If it's heated by immersion heaters, it may not be reaching full temperature after 30mins!
With 4 immersions in the old vented cylinder, 30 mins may have been long enough, but unless the unvented cylinder also has 4 immersions, I'd say leave it on for 2-3 hrs and then see how it goes. Or you could measure the hot water temperature.

If heated by a gas boiler, 30mins may be sufficient, but I would have it for an hour, at least while investigating the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unvented cylinder running out of hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I need to change my shower mixer and I have a unvented hot water cylinder. Is it sufficient to turn off the mains? Do I need to drain the cylinder? Thanks
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Hi There was no shut off valve on the tank feed to the hot water cylinder, and I needed to move a couple of hot water pipes, so I shut off the mains water, turned boiler off (Remeha avanta) and opened the hot kitchen tap to drain the cylinder. After doing the work etc, Everything up and...
Replies
Views
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated house (4 bathrooms is tragic). Current set up is: A hot/cold mixer in the main ensuite which is ok as long as you don't run anything else. One electric...
Replies
Views
We have a pumped shower with a thermostatically controlled mixer valve. My wife complains that when she is having a long shower (hair wash etc) the shower runs at the right temperature for much of the time but suddenly changes to run cold, usually during the hair rinse time, for no apparent...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock