Discuss Unvented cylinder inspection in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Yes there is a expansion vessel fitted its not doing much though,
Whats happening is as the cylinder heats up the expansion is taking place down the cold main to the kitchen tap as there is no non return valve!

Why are you proposing changing the cylinders rather than just adding a non- return valve?
Sorry just to clarify, Im not changing the cylinders, just the pipework, although they have been neglected since 2004! My original question was would this issue need to be rectified before a safety inspection is signed off as im not sure if its water regs or unvented related.

The top of the cylinder is normally the hot water outlet, it seems a strange place for a E.vessel if you are referring to this, if it is screwed to the cylinder top where is the HW drawn off?.
Sorry i couldn't flip the image but yes the expansion sits on the top which is incredible unstable when trying to re charge it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-05 at 22.58.45.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-05 at 22.58.45.png
    406.2 KB · Views: 12
The attached gives some idea of pipework which may be of some little use even though for a different type.

Attachments

• Albion Ultrasteel Unvented Direct Universal Cylinder Installation (1).pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
The attached gives some idea of pipework which may be of some little use even though for a different type.
Cheers John G, this is the ultrasteel which is what kingspan and albion manufactured when they merged. Same rules apply the non return valve after the cold connection to protect it by ensuring expansion takes place in the vessel and not in the cold water supply to taps. Thanks all i have enough evidence to justify my work on all the cylinders.Shame they wasn't fitted properly ut then again thats where half my work comes from.

Interesting way of installing the cylinder,
Have they sent you the orignal fitting instructions?
Why would you put the pressure gauge before the pressure reducing valve, it doesn't tell you anything helpful, ie is the pressure reducing valve shutting off at correct pressure.
Most cylinders have multiblock inlet valves, where you take the cold supply from, did some plumber fit what he thought was correct?
As Scott asked where is the expansion tank connected, I have always installed the expansion vessel on the inlet, again its to do with Legionella etc you don't want that amount of possible stagnant water on the outlet where it can get warmed up.

Reply to Unvented cylinder inspection in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is...
Replies
Views
Good evening, I'd like your opinion on something that is worrying me please: my landlady's plumber replaced the bottom/night element of my...
Replies
Views
S
Hi All I had an unvented cylinder fitted about 6 years ago. It only supplies hot water to my shower. I was hoping for a much better flow rate from...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
  • Question
Hello, I am fitting new taps and a shower mixer in my en-suite and was looking to isolate the hot water pipes. I have an unvented indirect...
Replies
Views
Hi There was no shut off valve on the tank feed to the hot water cylinder, and I needed to move a couple of hot water pipes, so I shut off the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock