Search the forum,

Discuss Unusual mains stop tap key in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oldmanriver

I have been trying to lay my hands on a street mains stop tap key for my house. Its an unusual variety being a spindle type with a "D" shaped fitting. The flat face of the D is about half an inch across. All my local plumbers and merchants say they have heard of the key but never been able to get one despite thousands of houses hereabouts having that type of tap. The word seems to be that United Utilities are deliberately making it impossible to get hold of them and none have been available to wholesalers for several years.

I have trawled the internet and it does seem to be a fact that they are impossible to find, although I did find a universal friction type that might have worked but the supplier ignored my calls and emails.

I attach a photo of the mains tap in question. If anyone recognises the type and can tell me where I can get hold of one I 'd be really grateful.

Cheers

Attachments

• Spindle mains stop tap.JPG
    Spindle mains stop tap.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 92
i reacon an adjustable tap spanner would work on that. If not id make a tool out of 3/4 mild steel tube and bend or weld a flat side in it... other than that, i havent seen a proper tool

To me that looks like a frost cover to protect the stop valve and/or meter with a metal rod to help keep it in place.

Is that "circle" around 4" across with the metal bit near the middle? Because if it is, you'll have to remove it to access the stop tap further down. The stop valve is generally around half an arm to an arm's length below the ground surface.

Of course I could be talking through my hat!

How about using a univeral socket on a long bar.

[DLMURL="http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Wiha-Gripper-Socket-23229.htm"]Gripper Socket : Buy Gripper Socket at Axminster Power Tool Centre[/DLMURL]

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
how about try cheating,
ring the waterboard at about 2pm, "i have a leak on my internal stop tap, and their stop tap in the street wont shut off"
the engineers that attend will enjoy an early finish that day, and if you give them a couple of brews and a bacon butty, may accidentally leave their spanner behind.

ive never seen this fitting before, but that dosnt mean a thing, on the replies above id go for dontknowitall knowing it best...

shaun

Thanks for all the really helpful input guys. I am going to try adjustable tap spanner or some other universal grip, but its nearly 3feet below pavement level so a bit of a stretch. Or I may fabricate something. Water coy have been rubbish dont want to know and really unhelpful so if all else fails I am minded to take migoplumbers advice and cry help help and see what I can sort out with the guys who turn up!:)

The "D" type keys are a pain to find, they are only used by the water board.

If you still need a key pls contact me and i may be able to help you out with one.

Use my link below to contact me as I dont always check my msg`s on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unusual mains stop tap key in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock