Search the forum,

Discuss Trickling noise when pump comes on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wildbeard

Hi can anyone help on the following.

The company I work for have installed. A Baxi megaflo 24kw system boiler with a premiere plus 300 litre unvented cylinder. All pipe work is new and pipe sizes have been followed to the Baxi heating drawing, the property is on a new build development. The customer first complained of a noise within the pump, heat team were called and replaced the pump, problem still persisted, heat team called back out stripped boiler down and found the automatic bypass on the boiler was constantly open replaced auto by pass problem solved. Customer still complained that boiler was noisy, heat team came back out replaced boiler. A few months later the customer complained boiler was noisey, I attended myself the only noise I could hear was when boiler first fired was a water movement noise like a trickling for the first ten seconds , in my opinion this is normal as the pump is working hard to get the system circulating ( 19 rads on system ) Sytem also has a Honeywell bypass in airing cupboard drained down checked operation of bypass all ok. The builder then called a independent engineer who asked us to alter auto air vent in cupboard which we did, customer still complaining of water trickling when pump kicks in. I have been a qualified engineer for over 20 years, customer is now going to get his own engineer in which he is welcome to do, am I missing something ?

Sounds like it's a bit small to me bud maybe struggling to achieve a satisfactory tempreture so wont modulate down 19 rads x2kw apiece on average plus the coil in the cylinder is to small do a gas rate and check flow and return tempretures across the boiler be interested to know what return tempreture you get when on full demand and you will need to add another expansion vessel . Hope this helps

Hi sound only happens when system cold, checked expansion vessel when hot and cold, pressure hardly raises a quarter of a bar when system upto full temperature.

Sorry ment to add primary pipework 28mm both heating circuits doing nine to ten rads respectively, house is a new build so most rads aren't that big.

Thats the trouble with system boilers the pump being inside the casing your stuck with what you have got , do the calculations on the system the kw needed at full rate you can work out expansion vessel size from there . Can't see there's much you can do without adding costs, don't get caught out have the information ready because if the independent engineer starts finding faults you need to have answers to satisfy your customer. All the best bud .

You need to calculate the index circuit.
Start with that.
It may be better to put LLH or PHE in and external pump.
If the boilers pump is struggling to get things moving you will hear it until the flow increases.

19 rads on a stnd 15-60 will never work

Hi, that's why I hate system boilers never saw the point of them, when everything could of been done in the airing cupboard. At the end of the day it's on a new build we have only worked to heating drawing supplied by manufacturer and developer, have spoken to their design department who ensure me that the pump expansion vessel is more than adequate for volume of water in system, They have also confirmed that in a email. Going to let customer get independent engineer and go from there. Cheers

Cant help you anymore than we have bud if you have coverd yourself then best of luck .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Trickling noise when pump comes on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock