Discuss Trianco Redfyre 15/19 cycling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Tyrrell

Gas Engineer
I got called to a breakdown to this boiler and found that the motor had given up because the pump had seized solid. Replaced both and set it up according to MI but now the tenant says that the boiler is starting up and switching off all the time, like it's skipping a beat.I haven't a clue as to what could be causing it to do this so if anybody has any ideas I would be grateful :)

​photocells throw up some weird and wonderful faults. Could also be the solenoid beginning to break down.

Photocell look so , and then oleo is was replaced along with the pump. That's why I can't work it out. The only thing I didn't do is replace the photocell so if it keeps doing it I'll try that. Cheers

I meant looks good & solenoid. Customer has just texted to say that it's gone to lockout again !!!!!
thatmeans I have to go back in the morning, before I go to plumb in a load of mashtuns etc for a new brewery. At least the day should end up ok :)

If its not locking out Id go for photocell staying 'open' (continuity test with meter) or control box.

Checked for air ingress into the oil line if all the other is OK?

have you maby kinked the oil line or something? maby oil is seeping thru and then going to lockout because of lack of oil?

Cheers guys, I went back and had another look at the problem, checked everything and it still went to lockout!
i took the inspection plate off the fan cover and tried again, only to see that the fan tried to turn and stopped causing it to go to lockout. I took it apart again and found that when the new oil pum wasn't connected the fan spun freely but as soon as I put the oil pum on again it won't turn properly, hitting a tight spot on each revolution. I removed the oil pump and checked it. The new pump appears to have a tigh spot andI think that this is causing the problem. New pump ordered and I'll see what happens today :)

Hope there's no dirt or water in the new oil pump? :smile:
I clean or replace oil filter & flush the oil line every time I replace an oil pump or hose.
You should have a stock of different oil pumps. You are wasting a lot of your time & fuel. It's not a great experience for a customer if you can't replace a standard part immediately. I keep a few of most Danfoss standard pumps bfp Left hand - 11, 21 & 41 & a couple of right hand. Also at least a couple of each Riello pumps.

Thanks Best but my customers are more than happy with the jobs I do for them, it's usually when I come across a boiler that 30 years old, as this one is. I don't carry a lot of spares a aI have a small van and I don't do enough pile work to make it a priority at the moment, besides that, I usually plan things so that I do collect stuff all at once. Of course there's the odd occasion where I can't fix it because I have got the stuff but that will always happen. I'm just starting to get the garage organised so that I can keep some stuff in it but if you could see my garage you'd know that it's a big job and I don't seem to get the time at the moment

I am exactly the same Robert, - little space & a cluttered workshop, but I still carry oil pumps with me. I normally have at least one each of 6 oil pumps with me. They take very little room in the van. Without exaggerating, I fix almost 100% of boilers on first visit. Biggest problem is new customers who can't tell what make their boiler is, - that means I need to fill the van with as much parts as I can, if job isn't very close by. :smile:
Where I am, there are plenty of oil guys, so if I don't do it, someone else might be able to. People here tend to expect it sorted the day they ring, if not within an hour or two.

Thanks, My plan of action is usually to carry a spare burner, and if I can't sort it first time then I fit the new burner but I've only just started with that..
I live within a triangle of 3 very close Parts Centers so I can nearly always get the part I need on the day, or the following day. My problem is usually finding the fault in the first place after being away from it for so long, it takes a fair bit of catching up and if you're not doing it avery day then it takes that bit longer.
as and when my fortunes change, I will invest in stock but at the moment, my startup money is almost done and I've got all the stock I can have for the next 3 months

I only work on domestic boliers, most of which are very common types, although I do work on plenty of old boilers. I have a couple of main suppliers of oil parts within about 4 or 5 miles from me, but it just won't make sense to keep driving to them for a lot of boilers. I will go back to a boiler the second time for to replace any burned out baffles etc, but usually I get the boilers running anyhow.
I find driving even just a few miles & then standing asking for parts, wastes a lot of time & is stressful. But stock does cost a few grand & really best to build it up over time as you can afford

Ok - after my best efforts. This boiler has gone to lockout again. It's now running on a completely new burner so it can't be faulty parts, I'm guessing that it's an oil problem as they've just mentioned that they had a delivery of oil a couple of days before! Didn't mention this when asked the other day. Problem is that the wheel head valve doesn't stop the supply and there's no way of shutting it off at the tank as the valve is stuck. There's also no inline filter either. BTW -all of these things have been pointed out to them as safety issues etc but they are getting an extension buit after the holidays so don't want to pay extra to have it put right when it's all goin to be ripped out. I'll go over on Monday and dip the tank to see if there's any water in it but apart from that I can't think of any other reason for it not to work. Anything else that I might have forgotten?

Did you try disconnecting the hose & running the oil into a tray & watching using a torch if any water in it? Or fill a clear bottle & see if any water lying on bottom. Does sound likely. You should see signs of water on the nozzle filter or inside the pump. If it is water you will need to open your new burners oil pump & flush it out & the pipe to nozzle. Oil tank water could be syphoned out from base on a tempory fix. Check also it isn't red diesel put into tank.
Other than that & as it is an old burner & probably not balanced flue, I can only think of combustion setting wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Trianco Redfyre 15/19 cycling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock