Discuss Trainees causing damage in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

E4gas

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I got called out to a job I done about 8 weeks ago , customer rang me 5.30 am and said water dripping
Though the celing , I changed. 2 sets off basin taps , 2 sets off bath taps , the lad done the basin taps , he did not tightern up the back nut enough , my error was I did not check his work , as his worked for me over a year now , the leak has caused £400 plaster cost , £550 decoration , £300 electrics ( spots ) ..
..looks like I have to use my insurance for a kids error ..

Not the kids error IMO, you said he was a trainee so the error is yours for not supervising him properly.

After 8 weeks I'm afraid it's the customers fault you don't know what they where doing with taps especially if plastic back nuts

Make sure you tell them but not in a cost cost me effing £1250. I brought down 3 ceilings as an apprentice in my first year because of a cross threaded joint in a plastic water softener. called me into the office and had a quick chat I thought I was going to get the sack but was suprisingly good about it. It made me better aswell because I was terrified of it happening again.

You would have thought after 8 weeks it would have shown on the bathroom floor be for going downstairs

I got called out to a job I done about 8 weeks ago , customer rang me 5.30 am and said water dripping
Though the celing , I changed. 2 sets off basin taps , 2 sets off bath taps , the lad done the basin taps , he did not tightern up the back nut enough , my error was I did not check his work , as his worked for me over a year now , the leak has caused £400 plaster cost , £550 decoration , £300 electrics ( spots ) ..
..looks like I have to use my insurance for a kids error ..

it can work out like that with trainees, hence them being called trainees!

You would have thought after 8 weeks it would have shown on the bathroom floor be for going downstairs

The back off the pedestal was tiled in , a slow trickle down the pipe , the kitchen ceiling was double boarded for fire risk , they said they noticed a brown mark a week before , they did not want to bother me ,, the leak got worst when they kept turning the cross head tap

Not the kids error IMO, you said he was a trainee so the error is yours for not supervising him properly.

The trainee has his level 2 , also age 21 ,I think he should have checked his work , when your busy it's hard to check others work ,do you check everything other people do for ya ,,

I do now cos I've been in your situation a couple of times and with qualified employees not trainees.
Your the boss, the buck stops with you.

The trainee has his level 2 , also age 21 ,I think he should have checked his work , when your busy it's hard to check others work ,do you check everything other people do for ya ,,

No, I don't and won't start, people I work for don't check my work either its trust, If I'm not happy I'll grab the boss and ask him to check it. Having said that 8 weeks is a long time not to notice a problem........

You can't check EVERYTHING that trainees do for you.

I had one scratch a load of expensive radiators last year. He flipped them upside down onto the floorboards to fit the valves. He had been shown to use the bubblewrap and cardboard to protect them.

I was gutted. Didn't fire him then but eventually let him go as he was totally useless. Aged about 19 if I remember correctly.

The trouble with trainees is, they cock stuff up a lot, and even if they're working for peanuts, or free, they will often slow you down. Once you trust them enough to do work unsupervised, it's a great help, but that takes time. The amount of time depends on the individual and in my opinion their age. I remember how much of a crap I gave at 19. Not a lot believe me.

I've had some that I had to check all their work and 1 that I trusted to do the job properley

You can't check EVERYTHING that trainees do for you.

I disagree!

Well, you are allowed to disagree!!

If you are going to check EVERYTHING the trainees do, then you will do nothing except watch over their shoulders. You may as well do it yourself.

I've had 4 trainees. Two of them quickly picked it up and now do their own work, the other two were more of a hinderance than a help. I won't take a trainee on again. Been there done that.

I had one scratch a load of expensive radiators last year. He flipped them upside down onto the floorboards to fit the valves. He had been shown to use the bubblewrap and cardboard to protect them.

This is the exact reason i only open the valve ends of the rads enough to make the valves up then flip the rad over and remove the rest of the packaging

Yeah, but I wanted to inspect them all when they were delivered as it was a 6 week wait for any replacments.

I don't always keep them wrapped up as I don't generally scratch my radiators on the floor!

The back off the pedestal was tiled in , a slow trickle down the pipe , the kitchen ceiling was double boarded for fire risk , they said they noticed a brown mark a week before , they did not want to bother me ,, the leak got worst when they kept turning the cross head tap

It depends on whether or not you want to keep the relationship good with the customer but they knew they had a leak and haven't attempted to mitigate their loss (twice I used that legal term in one weekend lol) so you have a good argument that you shouldn't be wholly liable for the damage.

question the price first.
is that re-plaster and paint the whole house!!!!!

question the price first.
is that re-plaster and paint the whole house!!!!!

It's a big kitchen ,, lessons learned , I ve done work for her before. New boiler 4 months ago , new shower tray , shower valves , plus I done new bathroom & rads at her sisters .,

Sometimes you just have to suck it up and face the music.

Sounds like you've had a fair amount of work from this customer, take the rough with the smooth. I feel your pain that it wasn't actually you who did the damage.

Im sure it has affected hes confidence also. We all get leaks just sucks that a small leak has caused so much damage. and insurance have to get involved ect.

But what do you normally get your trainee doing do you normally trust him with things.

Everyone makes mistakes, I'm an apprentice and I'll hold my hands up I've made a few already. If I make a mistake though, I have to foot the cost (haven't made any that has caused alot of expensive damage yet, TOUCH WOOD) which sort of teaches me a lesson, as I don't want to be paying out again. Bit different in these circumstances as the cost of damage is a lot higher than say replacing an £80 toilet.
Go lightly on him!:6:

Im sure it has affected hes confidence also. We all get leaks just sucks that a small leak has caused so much damage. and insurance have to get involved ect.

But what do you normally get your trainee doing do you normally trust him with things.

He's done loads off stuff , but looks like I have to keep a look out for his work in the future ..

I had a chap help me out, same level as me, he didn't tighten the toilet nuts when putting new toilet in, toilet leaked, undid it and tightened up the flush valve and he over tightened it, not too bothered when it snapped, but was shocked when he was trying to glue it back together with a bit of solvent cement.

Changed my opinion on trainees now, the older people are too busy, want extra for weekends, have an attitude and are never available when you want them,

the younger ones mess around, break things, don't turn up and can't be bothered.

I would take trainees on, but not as a one man band, if I survive the reccession and become a larger company I would take them on, otherwise not worth it.

We all cock stuff up from time to time, we're human. It's taking the fall for it when someone else has done it that hurts. That's part of being the boss, and carrying the can.

Its not so bad when people can put their cock ups right themselves....but in the case of the OP it's not possible and is going to cost him £££££££'s.

Wouldnt worry about it causes stress and grief at time but few months later you will prob have a chuckle about it , i know an appretice who burned down 4 houses best apprentice bodge i know of .

Wouldnt worry about it causes stress and grief at time but few months later you will prob have a chuckle about it , i know an appretice who burned down 4 houses best apprentice bodge i know of .

WOW!!! Now that's a cock up.

I wonder if he's still in the business.

Imagine telling that tale to the lads during a tea break.

'Oh yeah, I burned four houses down once' :83:

Certainly is still in business and he turned out to be a good plumber ,
was new build houses end of the day doing some soldering ,we all turned up on site next day to see the houses smouldering away and the scaffold outside all bent and warped from heat of the fire lol

Madness!! Worst nightmare that is.

My last job today was to sweat a section of 28mm with various joints all in close succession, at the side of an old house with hay insulation. Yes hay. I sprayed it all down before and after.

Doesn't bear thinking about does it!!

Show me the tradesman or apprentice who has never fkd up and i'll show you a liar :smile:

Show me the tradesman or apprentice who has never fkd up and i'll show you a liar :smile:

Talk about bad luck , I fixed a leaky flue in a false celling about 4 months ago charged her £90 , as I put the cupboard door back on , tall housing door , it slipped out off my hand and chipped the door , size off a penny ,, lady said she had bought kitchen from a company in the west end ,London , Germany make,, it was 600mm wide & 1000mm high ,she said replacement door cost £800 ,,, yes £800 for a door

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Trainees causing damage in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise...
Replies
Views
I am generally a decent handyman, can usually make 2+2=4 and take care of most things to avoid troubling experts with just the basics, but know...
Replies
Views
S
I wonder if anyone has any thoughts? Combi Logic 30 Boiler - constant pressure loss - no obvious leaking. Few years ago we got an error code...
Replies
Views
Very short version. Im a sole trader of only 10 months, but an experieced Plumber of 30 years. Installed a bathroom for a customer, they wanted me...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock