Discuss tool to remove chrome of copper tube in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sasik

any body know if there is a purpose made tool to remove chrome of cooper pipes before soldring?

thanks

brings back memories !!! lol spent full days before filing chrome

this seems to be a bit of a hot topic though because it is really annoying, I'm interested in this acid that has been mentioned but no one can confirm the actual name of it

i do have a dremel tool but which attachment would you say will be best for the job?

Last edited by a moderator:
elbow grease and a ******* (smooth file) takes about 90 seconds and i've not had problems

crikey i can't even call a fatherless file fatherless even when thats its real name! crikey this swear filter is a bit zealous!!

Not too sure on that acid? You would probably dissolve the copper before getting rid of the chrome plate.

Someone needs to invent a tool to do it. I would buy one for sure, hard work on the hands holding the chrome pipe still and filing it.

Tried an abrasive flap wheel in the end of a drill..
got the chrome off pretty well but had to be carefull not to mangle the copper underneath, it was a bit eager to chew into it for my liking.

brings back memories !!! lol spent full days before filing chrome

this seems to be a bit of a hot topic though because it is really annoying, I'm interested in this acid that has been mentioned but no one can confirm the actual name of it
It's Muriatic acid or a weak solution of Hydrocloric acid, available in bottles from Amazon. Also takes the chrome off your wheel trims for painting!

surely by the time you have brought the acid from the van, got the child/plumber proof lid off, put it on the pipe, waited while its done its thing, cleaned the pipe, you would have been able to file it off! plus we all have a file and the acid thingy is just another needless expense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to tool to remove chrome of copper tube in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock