Discuss Time on Jobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Not going to comment on the time scale of things as we all know an hour's work can take 3 and a days work can be done half, just depends if you encounter any problems or not.

I will say though that you cant expect them to break a sweat every hour of the day like you, it's your business so your naturally going to be committed to the firm more than they are. Have you actually sat down with them and had a chat about your concerns? Sometimes biting your tongue isn't the best way to go, a good boss is firm but fair. My last boss who trained me was firm (won't comment on the fairness bit) and if I'd have left a customer with no water on overnight he'd have gone through the roof, so you getting a phone call at 7pm on a Friday with your guys leaving a customer with no water for the weekend is not acceptable. If you run round after them picking up the slack and don't say anything, they will let you. Toughen up and be their boss, not their friend.

Toughen up and be their boss, not their friend.

That's the best bit of advice. The last company I worked for he wanted to be everybody's best friend and people just took the mick.
Yep, we had 2 directors for our firm. One of them wouldn't say boo to a goose and 90% of the workforce took advantage of that. He left 6 months ago due to stress. I got made supervisor and do find it difficult to now tell the lads who I used to be friends with what to do and even harder to reprimand them. I do feel some take advantage of the situation and don't pull their weight in the firm.

I have had up to 25 fitters on in the past. I think you are in the danger area. 5 fellas will NOT make you enough money. Its the danger zone where your men and lady will make more money than you do. You will be running around pricing jobs, getting gear, fixing mess ups you name it. When you were on your own you probably turned over less money but your net profit was % higher without all the hassle and worries.
Increased turnover is an illusion reserved for massive companies with
highly controlable fixed costs and a degree of clout over variable costs.
seen fellas leave me, have a go, get fed up and come back. 10+ fellas in 5 years is the magic numbers AND not all tied into one or two big contracts. more if you want it. centralheatking

Not going to comment on the time scale of things as we all know an hour's work can take 3 and a days work can be done half, just depends if you encounter any problems or not.

I will say though that you cant expect them to break a sweat every hour of the day like you, it's your business so your naturally going to be committed to the firm more than they are. Have you actually sat down with them and had a chat about your concerns? Sometimes biting your tongue isn't the best way to go, a good boss is firm but fair. My last boss who trained me was firm (won't comment on the fairness bit) and if I'd have left a customer with no water on overnight he'd have gone through the roof, so you getting a phone call at 7pm on a Friday with your guys leaving a customer with no water for the weekend is not acceptable. If you run round after them picking up the slack and don't say anything, they will let you. Toughen up and be their boss, not their friend.
Yes, I have sat them down & the response I go was "We can finish at 5pm if we want surely?" I explained why it wasn't acceptable & it was as if I was talking to a teenager. I never went too hard from there as it is hard getting qualified plumbers/heating engineers as everyone in my area is under the umbrella of, if we take on apprentices then we feed our competition. So its hard not to come across as an arse then have them walk. We have a morning progress meeting every monday & set out what is expected for the week & go over any issues any of us have for the week before & also any praise that is to be given. I would say that I come under the harsh but probably to fair bracket & yes I agree I probably need to toughen up.
[automerge]1567883967[/automerge]
I have had up to 25 fitters on in the past. I think you are in the danger area. 5 fellas will NOT make you enough money. Its the danger zone where your men and lady will make more money than you do. You will be running around pricing jobs, getting gear, fixing mess ups you name it. When you were on your own you probably turned over less money but your net profit was % higher without all the hassle and worries.
Increased turnover is an illusion reserved for massive companies with
highly controlable fixed costs and a degree of clout over variable costs.
seen fellas leave me, have a go, get fed up and come back. 10+ fellas in 5 years is the magic numbers AND not all tied into one or two big contracts. more if you want it. centralheatking
You have just echod what a friend of a building firm has said to me - He told me to knuckle down, be a boss & push on to 12 on the books or go back to myself & 1 lad. He has 200 employees & says it was easier than when he had 7 as he now delegates the responsibilities.

Pick the worst one of the lot. Next time they run over give them a verbal warning. Just say that you do not feel that they are doing the required amount of work and you cant afford to keep them if they persist at that pace. Word will pass to the others within 10 minutes of them leaving the room and they will either knuckle down or go.

If there is a week job, turn up and work yourself on the Friday.
See if they are working hard, need a hand, out for breakfast,

Yes, I have sat them down & the response I go was "We can finish at 5pm if we want surely?" I explained why it wasn't acceptable & it was as if I was talking to a teenager. I never went too hard from there as it is hard getting qualified plumbers/heating engineers as everyone in my area is under the umbrella of, if we take on apprentices then we feed our competition. So its hard not to come across as an arse then have them walk. We have a morning progress meeting every monday & set out what is expected for the week & go over any issues any of us have for the week before & also any praise that is to be given. I would say that I come under the harsh but probably to fair bracket & yes I agree I probably need to toughen up.
[automerge]1567883967[/automerge]

You have just echod what a friend of a building firm has said to me - He told me to knuckle down, be a boss & push on to 12 on the books or go back to myself & 1 lad. He has 200 employees & says it was easier than when he had 7 as he now delegates the responsibilities.
Let me know how it all works out, good luck chking A great trick is always show the next mondays job just before the end of the previous
friday...that way they will get in their head plan it and get planned over the weekend ALL for free. more nuggets if you want

Let me know how it all works out, good luck chking A great trick is always show the next mondays job just before the end of the previous
friday...that way they will get in their head plan it and get planned over the weekend ALL for free. more nuggets if you want

Or they
wont fancy it and call in sick ;)

Reply to Time on Jobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's...
Replies
Views
Prompted by a surveyors energy efficiency report (and getting grants as this job belongs to a small charity) I've been asked to lag the pipes in...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am looking for a heating engineer to diagnose and resolve an issue with my Vaillant EcoTec 832 combi boiler. Job Location: Copeland Rd...
Replies
Views
I have approx 2 weeks work in kingston i need a qualified plumber to assist me with starting on the 30th may. must be self employed, own tools...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock