Discuss Time on Jobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Evening lads/lassies

I'm not sure if this is allowed in here......If not please delete.

I am running a small company - 5 lads (3 tradesmen, 1 apprentice, 1 labourer) & 1 office lady for admin ect.

I keep finding myself getting frustrated at the times the tradesmen are taking to jobs, I know not everyone will put in what you do as a self emplyed person, I fully understand that. I got p*ssed off at 2 tradesmen before this & we have agreed to go our own ways, I don't want to lose another 3 for the same reasons.
1 tradesman is a month out of his time, another 4 years & the other 35 years & I myself am 8 years.

Do you lads have anyway of estimating jobs, how long a job should take.

For example -
Job 1 - New heating system with 7 rads, new boiler & new unvented system on ground floor with good space - I allowed the lads (1 tradesman & apprentice with labourer doing the oil tank & boiler base) 1 full week - 5 days/45 hrs

Job 2 - Swap 10 sets of TRVs & lock-shields on 20yr old system all same pipe centres ect - I allowed a day but expected them to be done in a half day for 2 lads.

Job 3 - 2 x bathrooms 2nd fix - I allowed them the week.

None of these jobs have been met by the times I expected, am I being unrealistic? I know I could do all the jobs on time myself hence why i am asking them to. I find myself biting my tongue every other day.

Is there a guide I can follow, as 75% of our work is day/hour rate we make money & price work we make money but not as much as I would like.

The thing that is getting me is myself & a labourer were making 50k+ profit a year but doing 80hr weeks, I am now planning a family so looking to do half that so spent the past 2 years employing to see how it went & now we are making 20k profit although im doing now 40-50 hr weeks alot of admin/quoting/pricing/checking up ect I'm just not seeing a decent return for the extra staff. Although I don't see going on my own as an option as we do around 40 callouts (evening & weeks) a month, I also don't want to turn them away as they are all with established customer, some domestic & some commercial.

I know it might sound spoilt of me as I sound like I want to work less & earn more, I'm honestly not that kind of person.
I wanted to run a small business where I could be proud of what I have achieved while turning good lads home with a good wage & moral & in return I could graft hard for the day but get to spend good time with my future family.

I feel I might be about to get a reality check where you lads that 'have been here done that got the t-shirt & are now back on your own' come in, If that is what it is then I can accept it & move on, or maybe yous can offer me some advice on how to improve my team.

Sorry for the rant but I need a bit of guidance weather its on some spreadsheet i can obtain for timings or a more experienced head tell me to leave it to the big guns.

Regards,
island fling

Job 1 I would estimate 1.5-2 weeks for your eg 1 and 1 depending on building if you want it done faster put more into it eg 3 full and 1 apprentice and 1 labourer

Job 2 2 days if it’s open vent allowing for problems

Job 3 depends what we’re talking spec wise could easily end up taking a week to do one

Job 1 I would estimate 1.5-2 weeks for your eg 1 and 1 depending on building if you want it done faster put more into it eg 3 full and 1 apprentice and 1 labourer

Job 2 2 days if it’s open vent allowing for problems

Job 3 depends what we’re talking spec wise could easily end up taking a week to do one
Thanks Shaun, That makes me feel better - I am maybe pushing the lads too hard. Although i've not really pushed them i've just asked for progress each evening or popped across to look at the jobs.
I am used to constantly working under a lot of pressure as I worked for a one man band where myself & my tradesman did around 20 new builds a year plus 5ish heating system & bathrooms so it was head down arse up all the time I guess, I went SE with the same mentality. For instance this week myself & the labourer have installed 3 new cylinders, toilet room & full heating system, although we have been working hard it feels good to go home tired like we have worked for our money.

I feel much better & will allow more time in future.

Do you know of anywhere I can get a guide or just start to allow 100% more & I should be okay.....As I say we make money at the minute but just not how it was before & I expected to make similar with a larger setup.

Thanks Shaun, That makes me feel better - I am maybe pushing the lads too hard. Although i've not really pushed them i've just asked for progress each evening or popped across to look at the jobs.
I am used to constantly working under a lot of pressure as I worked for a one man band where myself & my tradesman did around 20 new builds a year plus 5ish heating system & bathrooms so it was head down arse up all the time I guess, I went SE with the same mentality. For instance this week myself & the labourer have installed 3 new cylinders, toilet room & full heating system, although we have been working hard it feels good to go home tired like we have worked for our money.

I feel much better & will allow more time in future.

Do you know of anywhere I can get a guide or just start to allow 100% more & I should be okay...As I say we make money at the minute but just not how it was before & I expected to make similar with a larger setup.

The thing is there employed there not going to have the same speed as let’s say if they were on there own etc and you will find you burn out quicker

Don’t want to sound mean so take this with a pinch of salt

Most people can install/slap in a push fit heating system in a day or two which I’m sure you’ve seen onsite etc

So the thing you have to stress is quality over quantity

Don’t think you will find a cheat sheet but it will come with experience

I’ve been a full day lifting floor boards in the past for a full ch sys because the builders glued them down

That’s a busy week

New build work second fixing ?

If so will give you an idea

Cylinder would allow 2 -3 days to do 3 of them

Toilet room would allow half a day

And second fixing heating around 3-5 days depending on rads
[automerge]1567810825[/automerge]
@Millsy 82 fair enough

Any insight from your perspective?

Last edited:
With an apprentice I used to get 2 5 days to disconnect warm air unit and install combi and a 7 rad system but he was a good apprentice. it doesnt take an extra 2.5 days to install a cylinder and connect up an oil tank.

As an estimate without seeing the job I would estimate 6 days for me personally to do the job 1

Job 2 1 hour to drain system 30 minutes per upstairs rads and 45 per downstairs rads and 2 hours to fill.

2x bathrooms depends on what you call second fix? If it is install a bath basin toilet go back after tiler and install shower screen 2 days for me I'd allow 3

I've worked for a fair few companies and this seemed to be the going thing. But it all depends on how much your paying them and where in the country you are. If you live near me it seems they take the mick something chronic what I was doing in 3 days would take others 5 days and I ended up working late on a friday night to get the job sorted.

If your paying 25k a year expect it to take forever if your paying 32+ expect what bg expect as that is what they pay around me.
[automerge]1567811395[/automerge]
@Millsy 82 fair enough

[/QUOTE]

Your quoting self employed times allowing plenty of time and allowing for other times of no work etc. If you employ people and pay them a proper wage not 25-30k then expect what the big companies expect.

There is a large difference between being a sole trader and a business and seeing what some people are like when working with them they take the mick massively only for others (this mug here) to have to pick up the slack but then that's why companies have always tried to keep me.

Last edited:
With an apprentice I used to get 2 5 days to disconnect warm air unit and install combi and a 7 rad system but he was a good apprentice. it doesnt take an extra 2.5 days to install a cylinder and connect up an oil tank.

As an estimate without seeing the job I would estimate 6 days for me personally to do the job 1

Job 2 1 hour to drain system 30 minutes per upstairs rads and 45 per downstairs rads and 2 hours to fill.

2x bathrooms depends on what you call second fix? If it is install a bath basin toilet go back after tiler and install shower screen 2 days for me I'd allow 3

I've worked for a fair few companies and this seemed to be the going thing. But it all depends on how much your paying them and where in the country you are. If you live near me it seems they take the mick something chronic what I was doing in 3 days would take others 5 days and I ended up working late on a friday night to get the job sorted.

If your paying 25k a year expect it to take forever if your paying 32+ expect what bg expect as that is what they pay around me.

Fair enough you must of been shifting to do it all in copper

As for the cylinder etc those 2.5 days

New 22mm feed from the stop tap
Balanced cold to the bathrooms
Discharge internally as you can’t high level anymore
Lagging
Just second fixing the cylinder will take 3/4 - 1 day

I tip my hat to you Millsy your fast

The thing is there employed there not going to have the same speed as let’s say if they were on there own etc and you will find you burn out quicker

Don’t want to sound mean so take this with a pinch of salt

Most people can install/slap in a push fit heating system in a day or two which I’m sure you’ve seen onsite etc

So the thing you have to stress is quality over quantity

Don’t think you will find a cheat sheet but it will come with experience

I’ve been a full day lifting floor boards in the past for a full ch sys because the builders glued them down

That’s a busy week

New build work second fixing ?

If so will give you an idea

Cylinder would allow 2 -3 days to do 3 of them

Toilet room would allow half a day

And second fixing heating around 3-5 days depending on rads
@Millsy 82 fair enough

I hear what your saying there Shaun.

We always use copper & either solder or press, usually always press now due to hot works & preference. Seen far too many poor standard of jobs only lasting a fraction of the time they should due to plastic pipe, lack of clips & customers having to spend a fortune when we do the 1st service after another 'heating engineer' has installed a heating system & not connected condensate, incorrect expansion vessel, no insulation & lack of clips.
One thing I can say is im happy with the standard of work at all times otherwise I wouldn't be biting my tongue.

I'm pretty comfortable with pricing (I think) & done dozens & dozens of new builds so especially with 1st & 2nd fix, but thanks for the offer. Our price for them is usually about 20% higher than most but we still seem to get them.

I guess every job is different & to ask employees to busy a gut all day everyday is unrealistic.
I think what got me before posting was that our turnover is only up by 50% & profit has more than halved since I was working myself with a labourer, although my quality of life is up by 1000%
[automerge]1567815224[/automerge]

[automerge]1567811395[/automerge]
@Millsy 82 fair enough

Your quoting self employed times allowing plenty of time and allowing for other times of no work etc. If you employ people and pay them a proper wage not 25-30k then expect what the big companies expect.

There is a large difference between being a sole trader and a business and seeing what some people are like when working with them they take the mick massively only for others (this mug here) to have to pick up the slack but then that's why companies have always tried to keep me.
[/QUOTE]
We are paying between 32k - 35k, a van home to the door (which isn't needed as it can be left in the yard) which is about 50 miles a day for each van & i am getting exactly as you say, picking up the slack on a friday - mains off, hot water, heating system drained & new cylinder partially plumbed, I get told at 7pm on a friday when i'm on my way home after a long day, then I have to go round to an unhappy customer to finish off. That is what is getting me I think, It's not all the time, but often enough. I feel they have me by the balls though as we have work booked in for a year ahead plus callout on a regular basis.
When I was employed I worked my arse off, 12hr days 6 days a week if needed & I was happy doing it, not to luck the boss's arse but to prove I was worth my salt, to watch the job offers come in & be happy to stay (until my boss retired) to thank the man that helped me cut my teeth in an industry I love.

Last edited:
I have be doing this for a lot of years and have seen it all , employing staff has always been a problem they all start off will good intentions and work hard, it's just human nature to have a easy day now and then, you cannot work flat out every day you just burn out, call outs always take longer than you think extra time is needed for traveling between jobs , parking , collecting parts and materials clearing up completing certificates , the only way to get more out of your employees is put em on a price there's no way they will work as hard or quick on a hourly rate, don't price work on how quick you can fit it look back at their efforts hours taken on previous jobs and maybe allow more time you may lose a few jobs but will make more on the jobs you win. Best of luck . Kop

cant comment on 1 and 3 but job 2 drain down could take up to 2 hours more if problems, allow 1 hour per rad if there is need for cutting olives and slight alterations then refill which could take 3 to 3 hours the check operation and check for leaks so i would say 1 1/2 days to be sure not really quicker till the valve stage of the job and refilling when both guys can do work.

Shaun I am just going on what I have been given in the past by pretty much every company I've worked for. I didnt think I was fast and when I went for my last job o said to the boss I'm not the quickest but turned out I was the quickest by a long way.

I've always done copper very rarely used plastic as I dont think fitting plastic in an existing home is much quicker fitted properly.

Island you are paying british gas prices what do british gas expect from there employees. As kop has said you cant work them flat out all the time but if they are getting paid well I would expect them to work hard 90% of the time.

Personally I would pay bonuses for jobs completed on time and with no call backs. If you put people on price they chuck things in to get to the next job.

Gasmk1 3 hours to fill a system? Wheres that Buckingham palace? :D the last time I had a system take over an hour to fill was about 5 years ago in the end I repiped the cold feed and vent then it filled within 20 minutes.

Reply to Time on Jobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's...
Replies
Views
Prompted by a surveyors energy efficiency report (and getting grants as this job belongs to a small charity) I've been asked to lag the pipes in...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am looking for a heating engineer to diagnose and resolve an issue with my Vaillant EcoTec 832 combi boiler. Job Location: Copeland Rd...
Replies
Views
I have approx 2 weeks work in kingston i need a qualified plumber to assist me with starting on the 30th may. must be self employed, own tools...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock